FEHLER: Relation »dbmail_upgrade_steps« existiert nicht
LINE 1: SELECT 1=1 FROM dbmail_upgrade_steps WHERE from_version = $1...

Looks like the contents of
/usr/share/doc/dbmail-3.2.0/sql/postgresql/upgrades/32001.psql.bz2 did
not get applied to the db.

I thought this was going to be applied automatically?

Regards,
Thomas R
Re: Dbmail 3.2.0 error from automigrations [ In reply to ]
Am 28.08.2014 08:09, schrieb Thomas Raschbacher:
> Hi.
>
> I was just going to add 3.2.0 to the gentoo portage tree, but when
> testing i got this error in my syslog:
>
> dbmail/imap4d[15315]: Error:[db] check_upgrade_step(+920): SQLException:
> FEHLER: Relation »dbmail_upgrade_steps« existiert nicht
> LINE 1: SELECT 1=1 FROM dbmail_upgrade_steps WHERE from_version = $1...
>
> Looks like the contents of
> /usr/share/doc/dbmail-3.2.0/sql/postgresql/upgrades/32001.psql.bz2 did
> not get applied to the db.
>
> I thought this was going to be applied automatically?
>
> Regards,
> Thomas R

I think I just noticed what is the problem:
By default in gentoo all text files in /usr/share/doc/<package-name> are
..bz2
Could it be that dbmail loads the sql migration scripts from there and
expects "${DOCDIR}/sql/postgresql/upgrades/" to contain the files
32001.psql ?

If this is the case it is probably also of interest to other packagers
to keep this definitely intact (and not skip the doc/ tree or something)

@Paul: I would appreciate if you could confirm this for me before I
commit this to the official tree.

Also I wonder if it is a good idea to put sql scripts that the server
processes need in /usr/share/doc . Wouldn't /usr/share/dbmail be the
better choice here (also from a FHS point of view) since /usr/share/doc
is intended for documentation -- manual sql migrations fit well in there
of course imho. (Just a suggestion of course I will go by what you
decide is best Paul.)

Regards,
Thomas R

Re: Dbmail 3.2.0 error from automigrations [ In reply to ]
Am 28.08.2014 um 08:31 schrieb Thomas Raschbacher:
> Am 28.08.2014 08:09, schrieb Thomas Raschbacher:
>> I was just going to add 3.2.0 to the gentoo portage tree, but when
>> testing i got this error in my syslog:
>>
>> dbmail/imap4d[15315]: Error:[db] check_upgrade_step(+920): SQLException:
>> FEHLER: Relation »dbmail_upgrade_steps« existiert nicht
>> LINE 1: SELECT 1=1 FROM dbmail_upgrade_steps WHERE from_version = $1...
>>
>> Looks like the contents of
>> /usr/share/doc/dbmail-3.2.0/sql/postgresql/upgrades/32001.psql.bz2 did
>> not get applied to the db.
>>
>> I thought this was going to be applied automatically?
>>
> I think I just noticed what is the problem:
> By default in gentoo all text files in /usr/share/doc/<package-name> are
> ..bz2
> Could it be that dbmail loads the sql migration scripts from there and
> expects "${DOCDIR}/sql/postgresql/upgrades/" to contain the files
> 32001.psql ?

Uhm that could explain why it not worked as i pulled HEAD instead
of 3.1 snapshot some time ago

> If this is the case it is probably also of interest to other packagers
> to keep this definitely intact (and not skip the doc/ tree or something)
>
> @Paul: I would appreciate if you could confirm this for me before I
> commit this to the official tree.

me too, after recovering from building up an inbound spamfilter
i will give 3.2 some love on my virtual testserver

> Also I wonder if it is a good idea to put sql scripts that the server
> processes need in /usr/share/doc . Wouldn't /usr/share/dbmail be the
> better choice here (also from a FHS point of view) since /usr/share/doc
> is intended for documentation -- manual sql migrations fit well in there
> of course imho. (Just a suggestion of course I will go by what you
> decide is best Paul.)

agreed!

especially on server setups it is not uncommon to have "tsflags=nodocs"
on readhat systems to prevent install docs and manpages on every server
in a cloud infrastructure and have them only on the admin server
Re: Dbmail 3.2.0 error from automigrations [ In reply to ]
On 28-08-14 08:31, Thomas Raschbacher wrote:

> I think I just noticed what is the problem:
> By default in gentoo all text files in /usr/share/doc/<package-name> are
> ..bz2
> Could it be that dbmail loads the sql migration scripts from there and
> expects "${DOCDIR}/sql/postgresql/upgrades/" to contain the files
> 32001.psql ?
>
> If this is the case it is probably also of interest to other packagers
> to keep this definitely intact (and not skip the doc/ tree or something)
>
> @Paul: I would appreciate if you could confirm this for me before I
> commit this to the official tree.

Eh, the scripts are not needed to be in the filesystem at all. They are
compiled into the binaries.

Re: Dbmail 3.2.0 error from automigrations [ In reply to ]
Looks like there is a problem here. Will investigate asap.

Re: Dbmail 3.2.0 error from automigrations [ In reply to ]
Am 29.08.2014 18:40, schrieb Paul J Stevens:
> Looks like there is a problem here. Will investigate asap.

Ok Thanks.
Please let us know when you found the problem. I will hold back adding
3.2.0 to the portage tree until then.

Regards

Re: Dbmail 3.2.0 error from automigrations [ In reply to ]
Am 29.08.2014 18:40, schrieb Paul J Stevens:
> Looks like there is a problem here. Will investigate asap.
>
> On 28-08-14 08:09, Thomas Raschbacher wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I was just going to add 3.2.0 to the gentoo portage tree, but when
>> testing i got this error in my syslog:
>>
>> dbmail/imap4d[15315]: Error:[db] check_upgrade_step(+920): SQLException:
>> FEHLER: Relation »dbmail_upgrade_steps« existiert nicht
>> LINE 1: SELECT 1=1 FROM dbmail_upgrade_steps WHERE from_version = $1...
>>
>> Looks like the contents of
>> /usr/share/doc/dbmail-3.2.0/sql/postgresql/upgrades/32001.psql.bz2 did
>> not get applied to the db.
>>
>> I thought this was going to be applied automatically?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Thomas R

Any news on this yet? otherwise I will change the ebuild not to bz2 the
sql files and commit it so that we have an up2date ebuild in teh portage
tree.

Regards

Re: Dbmail 3.2.0 error from automigrations [ In reply to ]
Fixed it. Silly mysql side-effects when re-using an open database
connection. Worked perfectly on postgres. Now both work by re-opening a
database connection while looping over the upgrade steps.

Please test HEAD on the dbmail_3_2 branch, if you can and let me now if
it solves things.

http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/log/?h=dbmail_3_2

Re: Dbmail 3.2.0 error from automigrations [ In reply to ]
On 2014-09-21 18:08, Paul J Stevens wrote:
> Fixed it. Silly mysql side-effects when re-using an open database
> connection. Worked perfectly on postgres. Now both work by re-opening a
> database connection while looping over the upgrade steps.
>
> Please test HEAD on the dbmail_3_2 branch, if you can and let me now if
> it solves things.
>

> http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/log/?h=dbmail_3_2

Not sure if i can test it easily now that my db is already migrated, but
before that ..
I am using postgresql not mysql/mariadb

Regards

Re: Dbmail 3.2.0 error from automigrations [ In reply to ]
Am 21.09.2014 um 20:51 schrieb Thomas Raschbacher:
> On 2014-09-21 18:08, Paul J Stevens wrote:
>> Fixed it. Silly mysql side-effects when re-using an open database
>> connection. Worked perfectly on postgres. Now both work by re-opening a
>> database connection while looping over the upgrade steps.
>>
>> Please test HEAD on the dbmail_3_2 branch, if you can and let me now if
>> it solves things.
>>

>> http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/log/?h=dbmail_3_2
>>

> Not sure if i can test it easily now that my db is already migrated, but
> before that ..
> I am using postgresql not mysql/mariadb

Any ideas about this paul? or should I just install the files in
/usr/share/doc/dbmail-3.2.0/sql/postgresql/upgrades/32001.psql.bz2
uncompressed to be safe?

Regards

Re: Dbmail 3.2.0 error from automigrations [ In reply to ]
Thomas,

You don't need those files, and should install them either. They are
compiled into dbmail!