Mailing List Archive

Re: [Dbmail] imapd question
My guess is the code will pretty much work with most european encodings. us-ascii is just the absolute minimum
a imap server should support, other charsets may well have gone untested until now. What charset are you using?

Afaik, the code uses only 1-byte char representations. No wchar_t in sight. So chances are pretty slim the
code will even work at all with unicode. Seems like a worthy implementation goal.

Paul Stevens mailto:paul@nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP PGP: finger paul@nfg.nl
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl
Re: Re: [Dbmail] imapd question [ In reply to ]
Paul J Stevens wrote:

> My guess is the code will pretty much work with most european encodings.
> us-ascii is just the absolute minimum a imap server should support,
> other charsets may well have gone untested until now. What charset are
> you using?
>
> Afaik, the code uses only 1-byte char representations. No wchar_t in
> sight. So chances are pretty slim the code will even work at all with
> unicode. Seems like a worthy implementation goal.

good reference:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

Re: Re: [Dbmail] imapd question [ In reply to ]
Hi Paul,

> So chances are pretty slim the code will even work at all with unicode.
> Seems like a worthy implementation goal.

Yes I totally agree. That's why I've asked twice how I could use a
unicode Postgres database but I got no response. Any idea?

http://twister.fastxs.net/pipermail/dbmail-dev/2004-March/003348.html
http://twister.fastxs.net/pipermail/dbmail-dev/2004-January/000569.html

What I've tried is to copy my Spam folder with about 10.000 mails to
dbmail and that worked fine. Charsets are for example BIG-5, definitelly
no 8 bit charset.

Thomas
--
http://www.tmueller.com for pgp key (95702B3B)
Re: Re: [Dbmail] imapd question [ In reply to ]
I'm no i18n expert. I'm not even remotely aware of all the issues involved. The
linux-i18n project may be a good starting point to gain some understanding....

We'd have to identify the parts of the code where char encoding is currently an
issue (_ic_search is probably just one of many) as well as specifying the parts
that will be enhanced by allowing unicode (i.e. unicode usernames).

Inserting and retrieving unicode messages is already at least partially
supported. I too see big-5 spam on a daily basis. But full support of rfc2060's
(imap) command list will be somewhat more involved, I'm afraid.

Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>

>>So chances are pretty slim the code will even work at all with unicode.
>>Seems like a worthy implementation goal.
>

> Yes I totally agree. That's why I've asked twice how I could use a
> unicode Postgres database but I got no response. Any idea?
>
> http://twister.fastxs.net/pipermail/dbmail-dev/2004-March/003348.html
> http://twister.fastxs.net/pipermail/dbmail-dev/2004-January/000569.html
>
> What I've tried is to copy my Spam folder with about 10.000 mails to
> dbmail and that worked fine. Charsets are for example BIG-5, definitelly
> no 8 bit charset.
>

> Thomas

Paul Stevens paul@nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31