Mailing List Archive

uid support
Hello,

This is a cut from squirrelmail's global.php:

/* Since we decided all IMAP servers must implement the UID command as
defined in
* the IMAP RFC, we force $uid_support to be on.
*/

global $uid_support;
$uid_support = true;

And the following cuts is from squirrelmail's ChangeLog:

Version 1.5.0
--------------------
- conf.pl no longer offers UID support toggle, which is forced true in
global.php

Version 1.5.1 -- CVS
--------------------
- Remove code related to non-UID-supporting IMAP servers.

So, in version 1.5.0 there was a possibility to set $uid_support = false
to get working dbmail + squirrelmail, but after 1.5.1, according to the
RFC, squirrelmail doesn't support dbmail ;-(

Is it really to add uid support? It was in dbmail-1.2.x.

Best regards,
Igor.
Re: uid support [ In reply to ]
Does anybody know what the problem is with our implementation of the UID
command?

Ilja

Re: uid support [ In reply to ]
Well just from reading the the RFC (3501 I believe.. could be wrong hmm...) one problem I find with using 64-bit values is that the UID is specified as 32 bit. UIDVALIDITY is also 32 bit. Our company was doing some testing using 64-bit values for UID's and ran into big problems with Outlook wrapping around and asking for negative UID numbers... seems they're using SIGNED values which wouldn't make sense when UID's are supposed to be strictly ascending. I think Kmail was actually crashing with 64-bit values used as UID's.

I don't think that's necessarily the problem with Squirrelmail and UID's, though I've been able to fix Squirremail by going into the config.php and just manually changing the $uid_support to false.

The UID's are used just fine by Outlook and in my hand-testing, so I'm wondering if perhaps Squirrelmail isn't quite working as it should??

Blessings in Jesus,
Paul F. De La Cruz

Re: uid support [ In reply to ]
Neat! All of those should be filed as bugs with their respective projects.
Just because you got garbage on the wire does not allow you to go crashing
into segfaults and running around looking for negative numbers everywhere.

Umm, and we should fix our end to be standards compliant, too...

Aaron