Mailing List Archive

Strange imap behavior.
Has anyone else seen a strange imap behavior in the 2.0 release
candidates relating to colon characters?

It seems that in the body of my emails I am getting a colon added to the
beginning of each line.
---------------------
This is

Another

Test

How about

Them
Colons
-----------------------
becomes
---------------------
: This is

: Another

: Test

: How about

: Them
: Colons
----------------------

It only effects messages that are processed through the mailer. (i.e.
not messages copied internally through imap, like copying to a Sent
folder) And I have done a packet analysis and the packets are not being
presented to the mailer (exim) by my client (mozilla) nor are the being
presented via lmtp to dbmail-lmtpd by my mailserver. This still shows
up even in rc3. I believe it may be associated with the
rfcheader_dump function in imaputil.c line 727.

The colons do not show up in the messageblks table entries for the messages.

I suppose this could be a mozilla issue. I will do some work with
ethereal and see if I can capture a imap stream to see what is being
passed to my inbox.

Thanks
Robert
Re: Strange imap behavior. [ In reply to ]
I have also noted that lines that have multiple colons in them will have
them stripped out.

i.e.

::::4test
becomes
: 4test

and even

4:::::test
becomes
4: test

strangeness indeed.
not only does it add a colon but it also adds a space after the colon
and strips multiple colons. Further packet analysis show that this
format is the format presented by dbmail-imapd to the client.

lmtp capture
---------------------------------------

test
test
:1test
::2test
:::3test
::::4test
4::::::test

.
250 Message received OK
QUIT
250 Recipient <joe@example.com> OK
-------------------------------------

becomes

imap capture
-------------------------------

: test
: test
: 1test
: 2test
: 3test
: 4test
4: test

FLAGS (\Seen \Recent))
13 OK UID FETCH completed
-------------------------------

Thanks
Robert

Re: Strange imap behavior. [ In reply to ]
I've also noticed the colon pre-prending problem in my tests with KMail. I
just assumed it was because I was making up my own headers when I was speaking
LMTP and SMTP by hand directly with dbmail-lmtpd and postfix/smtp...

Guess not!

Do the multiple colons appear correctly in the database? If so, then we can
narrow the problem down to someplace in the output functions. The POP3 server
should also be checked to see if it is IMAP specific or not.

Aaron

Re: Strange imap behavior. [ In reply to ]
I've been doing a lot of development on dbmail for my company (special in-house stuff, and fixing some thigns which I think are bugs and making it a bit more efficient..may lead to some code release eventually but right now we're still doing a lot of testing) but in all of my testing I've had none of these colon problems.

I've done testing with Kmail and M$ Outlook as well as talking straight IMAP4 by hand to dbmail (and pretending to be an IMAP4 server to mail clients by hand via netcat... but I won't bore you with that lol) and I don't get any colons that weren't there or any problem with colons being removed.

This is all mail that is being delivered to dbmail via postfix but only after having been processed by Amavisd-new + SpamAssassin.

The mail comes into dbmail via:
dbmail unix - n n - - pipe
flags= user=dbmail:nogroup argv=/usr/local/dbmail/bin/dbmail-smtp -d ${recipient}

What setups do you have? Perhaps I can try fooling around with mine and seeing if I can get it to do the same.

Blessings in Jesus,
Paul F. De La Cruz