the user will get an authentication error, but is that the proper message
for this state?

In our current primary mail server, we can have an account that will collect
mail, but the login is disabled.

Trying to login (POP) with the correct name/pwd gives this error:

-ERR [AUTH] login for this account is disabled

Regards,
Brian
Re: user account exists but disabled [ In reply to ]
IIRC, this was discussed but never implemented. There were suggestions of
having an enabled/disabled boolean or a more capable status or billing_status
field to allow for exactly this situation: mail comes in, but the user cannot
read the mail until they have paid their bills or otherwise resolved their
account status.

Aaron

Re: user account exists but disabled [ In reply to ]
FYI,
I'm building an web based control system for a client's site to integrate in
dbmail v 1.2.2

I've got 2 different status modes I use in an accounts master table.

Account Active
- maps are created for Postfix to check in check_recipient_access
to either return OK or REJECT for the email address

Login Enabled
- Basic User account information is stored in a master table
- values in a dbmail "users" record are generated from the master table
- The passwd field is filled with the actual passwd stored
in the master table
- or if Login Enabled is turned off, then the passwd in the users table
is set to some un-guessable value.

I'm highly in favor of the enabled/disabled boolean for both accepting mail
and for login availability. (Separately.)

Brian

RE: user account exists but disabled [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Ryan Butler made a patch for older 1.x series code (probably
around 1.0, maybe a little prior) that was a simple enable/disable
bit. You could find his patch in dbmail list archives (and he used
to have a web or ftp site with a few patches on it, including that
one). He was planning on making it a more flexible capabilities
type system that you could enable/disable various components on
a per-account basis (eg. offer webmail to some users, pop3 to others,
imap to others...). I don't know that it's been worked on any
recently (nor if he still wishes to do so), but now would be a good
time to stick it in 2.x, as it requires some schema changes, and
2.x is still accepting those. If Ryan's not in a position to work
on that right now, I'd bet he'd be willing to share his notes w/
whomever would. He's helpful like that. :)

Jesse