The newfiles are no longer patches, they are just the files themselves. Ilja
pointed out that it was hard to visualize from the earlier patches what was
being changed and what was being added. That should be much clearer now :-)

I haven't yet updated for the latest tweaks to the Sieve2 API nor the latest
changes in the DBMail_2_0 CVS... but I'd like to begin the process of
including these into mainline 2_0 so that I'll only need incremental patches
to get the API's updated and not rebuilding the whole thing...

Aaron
Re: Updates LMTP, Sorting, Sieve patch [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 11:39, Aaron Stone wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I updated the lmtpd-sorting patch to version a7. The code hasn't actually been
> updated since a6, but the patch has been cleaned up and split out into
> separate files. The tarball expands into a directory with two sub directories:
> newfiles and patches.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=777878&group_id=85894&atid=577644
>
> The patches are broken into 3 parts, for general changes, database driver
> changes and changes to pipe.c/h, because that's now the main hub for all
> message insertions across the board.
>
> The newfiles are no longer patches, they are just the files themselves. Ilja
> pointed out that it was hard to visualize from the earlier patches what was
> being changed and what was being added. That should be much clearer now :-)
>
> I haven't yet updated for the latest tweaks to the Sieve2 API nor the latest
> changes in the DBMail_2_0 CVS... but I'd like to begin the process of
> including these into mainline 2_0 so that I'll only need incremental patches
> to get the API's updated and not rebuilding the whole thing...

Having not played with this myself, I don't know if it's ready to be
included into CVS, but I would love to see this or something similar get
added to dbmail. Anyone use this and think it should be included?
Re: Updates LMTP, Sorting, Sieve patch [ In reply to ]
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> said:

> On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 11:39, Aaron Stone wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I updated the lmtpd-sorting patch to version a7. The code hasn't actually
> > been updated since a6, but the patch has been cleaned up and split out
> > into separate files. The tarball expands into a directory with two sub
> > directories: newfiles and patches.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=777878&group_id=85894&atid=577644

> > The patches are broken into 3 parts, for general changes, database driver
> > changes and changes to pipe.c/h, because that's now the main hub for all
> > message insertions across the board.
> >
> > The newfiles are no longer patches, they are just the files themselves.
> > Ilja pointed out that it was hard to visualize from the earlier patches
> > what was being changed and what was being added. That should be much
> > clearer now :-)
> >
> > I haven't yet updated for the latest tweaks to the Sieve2 API nor the
> > latest changes in the DBMail_2_0 CVS... but I'd like to begin the process
> > of including these into mainline 2_0 so that I'll only need incremental
> > patches to get the API's updated and not rebuilding the whole thing...
>
> Having not played with this myself, I don't know if it's ready to be
> included into CVS, but I would love to see this or something similar get
> added to dbmail. Anyone use this and think it should be included?

It's already on the TODO list and I've been working on it for a year now ;-)
Nobody uses it yet, per se, but it's an often-requested feature.

The question is if we (well, IC&S) are ready to begin the inclusion process
during the current development cycle leading up to 2.0.

Re: Updates LMTP, Sorting, Sieve patch [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 17:00, Aaron Stone wrote:
> "Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> said:
> It's already on the TODO list and I've been working on it for a year now ;-)
> Nobody uses it yet, per se, but it's an often-requested feature.
>
> The question is if we (well, IC&S) are ready to begin the inclusion process
> during the current development cycle leading up to 2.0.

I use procmail to filter (sort) my email into folders for me
serverside. Procmail calls dbmail-smtp to deliver to dbmail. Will this
Sieve patch allow me to get rid of my procmail scripts? Also, I know
some people use procmail based spam filtering tools, any way to allow
the sieve program to call outside apps for spam filtering the way
procmail does? If so, THIS WOULD ROCK!
Re: Updates LMTP, Sorting, Sieve patch [ In reply to ]
Exactly!

There are a lot of good reasons to use Sieve, (preach mode on). Sieve is
standardized by RFC 3028, and not simply a de facto / haphazard language as
procmail is. It also has a (draft) standard protocol for uploading and
managing scripts on the server, and therefore does not require funky custom
SQL interfaces to a procmail shell script. Best of all, there are a number of
existing client programs that use the protocol (which, until now, was only
available from the Cyrus mail server) and some nice gui script editors.

As for spam, most people on the list (myself included) suggest using an MTA
based spam tagger. The MTA delivers to the spam tagger, which delivers to
DBMail. Until now, you might have had an intermediary shell script that threw
away the high ranking spam, but with Sieve there is another option: a Sieve
script can be used to drop the spam-tagged messages or move them to a folder.
It's a bit more expensive, since the message headers need to get parsed again
by libSieve, but it's also a very flexible option, (preach mode off).

Aaron

Re: Updates LMTP, Sorting, Sieve patch [ In reply to ]
Hi Aaron,

> There are a lot of good reasons to use Sieve, (preach mode on).
[..]
> a Sieve script can be used to drop the spam-tagged messages or move
> them to a folder. It's a bit more expensive, since the message headers
> need to get parsed again by libSieve, but it's also a very flexible
> option,

That's how I use sieve with cyrus - I'd really love to switch to dbmail
without having to use a ugly homebrew web GUI for exim filters.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/websieve is quite good.

Maybe it's worth to mention that sieve has exact, substring and
regular expression matches, matches on the localpart, domain or the
complete address, has AND and OR semantics ...

--
MfG Thomas Mueller - http://www.tmueller.com for pgp key (95702B3B)