Mailing List Archive

Re: [Dbmail] memory problem on RedHat 9 and dbmail 1.1
<we should move this thread to dbmail-dev>

I for one would vote against having those patches be accepted into CVS,
and I imagine Ilja wont commit them as they are.

Don't get me wrong though; inetd functionality is a valuable attribute,
but I don't think they should be acquired by forking existing files.

Personally, since I'm working on pre-forking functionality ala apache,
I'm pretty certain server.c is where such changes should occur.

And we should definitely allow admins to select such settings runtime:
SERVERTYPE=<inetd|standalone>

Paul Stevens mailto:paul@nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP PGP: finger paul@nfg.nl
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl
Re: Re: [Dbmail] memory problem on RedHat 9 and dbmail 1.1 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

my thoughts exactly :)

Any luck with the pre-forking stuff yet?

cheers,
Ilja

On Friday, Oct 24, 2003, at 09:20 Europe/Amsterdam, Paul J Stevens
wrote:

> <we should move this thread to dbmail-dev>
>
> I for one would vote against having those patches be accepted into
> CVS, and I imagine Ilja wont commit them as they are.
>
> Don't get me wrong though; inetd functionality is a valuable
> attribute, but I don't think they should be acquired by forking
> existing files.
>
> Personally, since I'm working on pre-forking functionality ala apache,
> I'm pretty certain server.c is where such changes should occur.
>
> And we should definitely allow admins to select such settings runtime:
> SERVERTYPE=<inetd|standalone>
>

> Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

>>> No, sorry. 1.2 branch. I'll take a look @ 2.0 branch tomorrow.
>> Good as, I would assume that these changes would not be accepted into
>> CVS for 1.2, but might (I think should) be accepted for 2.0.

IC&S
Koningsweg 4
3582 GE UTRECHT

PGP-key:
http://www.ic-s.nl/keys/ilja.txt
Re: Re: [Dbmail] memory problem on RedHat 9 and dbmail 1.1 [ In reply to ]
Ilja Booij wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my thoughts exactly :)
>
> Any luck with the pre-forking stuff yet?

I'm trying to setup a global scoreboard where I can track state for all
children. I'm using shared memory to do this. I've studied the apache
code, but I want to steer clear of thread for now. Stevens's Advanced
Programming has been on my desk for the last couple of days now, and I'm
making steady progress.

Re: [Dbmail] memory problem on RedHat 9 and dbmail 1.1 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 03:20, Paul J Stevens wrote:
> I for one would vote against having those patches be accepted into CVS,
> and I imagine Ilja wont commit them as they are.
>
> Don't get me wrong though; inetd functionality is a valuable attribute,
> but I don't think they should be acquired by forking existing files.
>
> Personally, since I'm working on pre-forking functionality ala apache,
> I'm pretty certain server.c is where such changes should occur.
>
> And we should definitely allow admins to select such settings runtime:
> SERVERTYPE=<inetd|standalone>

All I was saying is that I think some type of xinetd functionality
should be added to the 2.0 branch. If this implmentation (patch)
doesn't cut the mustard, then fine we need to rework it, but I would
like to see (x)inetd supported, somehow.

Matthew
RE: Re: [Dbmail] memory problem on RedHat 9 and dbmail 1.1 [ In reply to ]
Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 03:20, Paul J Stevens wrote:
>> I for one would vote against having those patches be accepted into
>> CVS, and I imagine Ilja wont commit them as they are.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong though; inetd functionality is a valuable
>> attribute, but I don't think they should be acquired by forking
>> existing files.
>>
>> Personally, since I'm working on pre-forking functionality ala
>> apache, I'm pretty certain server.c is where such changes should
>> occur.
>>
>> And we should definitely allow admins to select such settings
>> runtime: SERVERTYPE=<inetd|standalone>
>
> All I was saying is that I think some type of xinetd functionality
> should be added to the 2.0 branch. If this implmentation (patch)
> doesn't cut the mustard, then fine we need to rework it, but I would
> like to see (x)inetd supported, somehow.

I agree with both of you.. I never intended the things I wrote to be more
than a proof of concept, and I didn't implement into the existing structure
in order that I minimised stuff that I might have broken.

Since there is a demand (other than just me) for (x)inetd support, I'll have
a look at the 2.0 tree and see where I can make a start at a sensible patch
for that, and hopefully get it incorporated into the tree.

Matt

PS: sorry Moderator, I seem to send stuff from the wrong account all too
frequently :-(