Mailing List Archive

new developer at IC&S, new features
Hi all,

first, let me introduce myself: My name is Ilja Booij, I just started
working at
IC & S, and I have been appointed head dbmail developer. I'll be
monitoring this list very closely for interesting discussions, features
etc.

Currently I'm doing a rewrite of the database handling code (the stuff
in the
pgsql/ and mysql/ directories. There's a lot of code replication in
those directories that I'm now removing by using C++ classes.
For the authentication part, I'll be looking at Aaron Stone's LDAP
patch. LDAP authentication is a feature we really need to include.

When the transition of the database code to C++ is complete, we'll be
looking at some other features that will have to included for dbmail
2.0:

* Adjust Database model
- shared folders.
- save some headers(To:, From:, Subject: and maybe some more) with
message, so they do not have to be parsed every time.
- faster copy/move by using a message link table

* store used quotum of a user with user info, so the used quotum does
not have to calculated each time this number is needed (which it is
often!)

* IMAP namespaces
as stated in rfc2060:
5.1.2 Mailbox Namespace Naming Convention

By convention, the first hierarchical element of any mailbox name
which begins with "#" identifies the "namespace" of the remainder of
the name. This makes it possible to disambiguate between different
types of mailbox stores, each of which have their own namespaces.
For example, implementations which offer access to USENET
newsgroups MAY use the "#news" namespace to partition the USENET
newsgroup namespace from that of other mailboxes. Thus, the
comp.mail.misc newsgroup would have an mailbox name of
"#news.comp.mail.misc", and the name "comp.mail.misc" could refer
to a different object (e.g. a user's private mailbox).

* administration GUI
Web interface seems to be the best way to go.

* LMTP Interface
for faster and better communication between
Local Mail Transport Protocol RFC 2033

* command line parser IMAP faster (combine some queries into
one query)

* TLS/SSL/Kerberos
IMAP over TLS/SSL RFC 2595

Comments are very welcome!

cheers,
Ilja
--
IC&S
Koningsweg 4
Re: new developer at IC&S, new features [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 04:26, Ilja wrote:
> When the transition of the database code to C++ is complete, we'll be
> looking at some other features that will have to included for dbmail
> 2.0:

Another thing to add to the todo list is the account suspension support,
where you can prohibit an account from sending or receiving mail or
restrict them to certain services (such as pop3, but no imap, etc).

Also, please check out the tools on
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/dbmail as there are already a couple
of patches there, and the points outlined in your email would make great
wishlist items to keep track.

Also, if you could keep an irc client open in the background to
irc.freenode.net channel #dbmail, there are a few of us that gather and
discuss ideas and problems there regularly.

Thanks.

Ryan Butler
ADI Internet Solutions
rbutler@adiis.net
RE: new developer at IC&S, new features [ In reply to ]
Hello,

> * store used quotum of a user with user info, so the used quotum does
> not have to calculated each time this number is needed (which it is
> often!)

A thought - would it be useful for anyone to store 2 values here,
one for the effective quotum (status < 2 or 3?) and one for a total
amount (any status)? I've considered adding the ability to "recover"
deleted mail in weDBmail, so that you could allow the user access
to restore status 3 messages if they're still in the db. Such a
procedure would need both the above values - on the other hand, I
can't think of any other application for them, and the calculation
would easy for weDBmail to do.

--
Jesse Norell
jesse (at) kci.net
Re: new developer at IC&S, new features [ In reply to ]
Hi Ilya!

Please take a look at my really big patch to the delivery path, it
includes an LMTP server and provides hooks for sorting backends (currently
I'm working on a rewrite of libSieve that will attach to this layer).

Aaron

Re: new developer at IC&S, new features [ In reply to ]
Hi Aaron,

where can I find your patch? You probably posted it to the list
earlier, but
if you could send it to me again I can take a look.

cheers,
Ilja

Re: new developer at IC&S, new features [ In reply to ]
Sure thing. I'll post both of my patches up to the SourceForge page, in
fact, especially since right after I post the LDAP one I usually get ten
more requests to repost it!

Aaron

Re: new developer at IC&S, new features [ In reply to ]
In some email I received from Ilja <ilja@ic-s.nl> on Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:26:15 +0200,
wrote:

Hi Ilja,

Someone wrote to me regarding the idea of having two(or N) different servers
as readers/writers but this can hardly be achieved without proper replication
system, and HA can be hardly achieved without replication in real time.

So my question is, is there an option in your plan where you can
granulate the DB API in away like:

1) Reads

2) Writes
a) updates
b) deletes
c) inserts

I think it will more open than the current one, + having something that granulated gives
more power to the developers to add features, also a plug-in system will be very nice.

just my two bits.

cheers

> * Adjust Database model
> - shared folders.
> - save some headers(To:, From:, Subject: and maybe some more) with
> message, so they do not have to be parsed every time.
> - faster copy/move by using a message link table
>
> * store used quotum of a user with user info, so the used quotum does
> not have to calculated each time this number is needed (which it is
> often!)
>
> * IMAP namespaces
> as stated in rfc2060:
> 5.1.2 Mailbox Namespace Naming Convention

[...]

--

Lou Kamenov System Analyst
AEYE R&D http://www.rad.aeye.net lou.k@rad.aeye.net