Mailing List Archive

new database structure / towards 2.0
Hi all,

We've been planning public folders for a while now and investigating
imap performance issues. Some key issues we would like to address:

* Fast mailbox opening/searching
For this we need to have certain standard headerfields separated from
the message at delivery and maybe some message parsing.

* Fast copies
The imap protocol does not have a 'move' command so a move consists of
a copy followed by a delete. But the delete just sets the delete flag
and the message isn't expunged until later. At this stage, dbmail
copies an entire message (including all the messageblocks) and this
creates a substantial load. For this we had a separation layer in mind
linking messages to mailboxes. With this new layout a single message to
muliple dbmail-users has only to be stored one time (this is what you
guys started discussing).

* Public folders
This will require some new layout; i haven't figured it out quit yet.

Implementing these changes will change a lot so i like to see this as
the 2.0 project :-)
I'd love to hear your thoughts about these changes!

regards roel

R.A. Rozendaal
ICT Manager
IC&S