selecting one of the resulting choices.

randy

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-thread-sfd
macosx ical hints [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 12:40 +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> is there a clue by four page for macosx ical users? ical help did not
> work for me.
>
> my server has three users, myself, foo, and bar. all macosx ical users.
>
> in ical i go to preferences / accounts / delegation / edit, hit +, and
> enter 'foo' in the micro-window, and hit done, i get
>
> Cannot enable access to your account. "foo" was not found. Search
> again for the user you want to add by typing their name, and
> selecting one of the resulting choices.

Hi Randy,

The iCal delegation options don't work with DAViCal. I think the
backend needs are fairly close to being supported, but I haven't sat
down long enough with iCal to work out exactly what care and feeding
it's missing.

For now, administer delegations inside DAViCal .

Cheers,
Andrew.

You will live a long, healthy, happy life and make bags of money.

> For now, administer delegations inside DAViCal .

ok. so i
o log in to foo's account on davical
o hit User Functions / My Details
o scroll down to Principal Grants
o pull my name down from pulldown
o select Read and then Create
o my name now shows in the grants list with all read perms on

i go back to ical preferences / accounts / delegation and foo shows up
with Show checked (and read only)

but when i go back to my desktop ical and Refresh All, i do not see
foo's calendar entries. nor do i see foo in my left panel except under
Dlegatees.

another whack with clue bat please

macosx ical hints [ In reply to ]
Hello Randy

At 01.09.10 05:40, wrote Randy Bush:

> is there a clue by four page for macosx ical users? ical help did not
> work for me.
>
> my server has three users, myself, foo, and bar. all macosx ical users.
>
> in ical i go to preferences / accounts / delegation / edit, hit +, and
> enter 'foo' in the micro-window, and hit done, i get
>
> Cannot enable access to your account. "foo" was not found. Search
> again for the user you want to add by typing their name, and
> selecting one of the resulting choices.

I see right, you want read or read/write access by every your users for every
other iCal-user?

read / write
You can give the other users (or a group with all these) read/write access in
davical. Then you can add in every iCal accounts for every other davical user
account.
In your iCal you have your own account user1,pwd1, /caldav.php/user1.
Next you add an account: user1,pwd1, /caldav.php/foo
and an account: user1,pwd1 /caldav.php/bar

So you have all 3 caldav accounts in your iCal. Sure with your delegation way
you have it with one click, but in daily use it is now difference.

read only
When you only need read access the "subscriber" function is nice.
Think about the right url "davicalserver/caldav.php/foo/home" <- you must
address the right calendar, /home /birthdays or so
iCal will ask you about your user/pwd too.

--
regards,

Benjamin Hagemann
Systemadministrator
Telefon: +49-(0)641-4006-157
Fax: +49-(0)641-4006-6-155
benjamin.hagemann at servicereisen.de
http://www.servicereisen.de

SERVICE-REISEN Heyne GmbH & Co. KG
R?dgener Str. 12, 35394 Giessen

eingetragen beim AG Giessen HRA 1333
pers?nlich haftende Gesellschafterin:
Heyne GmbH, eingetragen beim AG Giessen HRB 2163
Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Kristiane Heyne-Strauch, Karl Heyne

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-thread-sfd
macosx ical hints [ In reply to ]
<bump>

ok. so, to get foo to let me see their calendar
o log in to foo's account on davical
o hit User Functions / My Details
o scroll down to Principal Grants
o pull my name down from pulldown
o select Read and then Create
o my name now shows in the grants list with all read perms on
o so, i should be able to see foo's calendar content on my macbook
ical

when i go to my mac's desktop ical and Refresh All, i do not see foo's
calendar entries. i do see foo in my left panel except under Delegates.
but i do not see any of foo's appointments.

i also see my ical account in the left panel, randy at caldav.psg.com.

macosx ical hints [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 18:53 +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> <bump>
>
> ok. so, to get foo to let me see their calendar
> o log in to foo's account on davical
> o hit User Functions / My Details
> o scroll down to Principal Grants
> o pull my name down from pulldown
> o select Read and then Create
> o my name now shows in the grants list with all read perms on
> o so, i should be able to see foo's calendar content on my macbook
> ical
>
> when i go to my mac's desktop ical and Refresh All, i do not see foo's
> calendar entries. i do see foo in my left panel except under Delegates.
> but i do not see any of foo's appointments.
>
> i also see my ical account in the left panel, randy at caldav.psg.com.

Hi Randy,

Yeah, ISTR that iCal displays other people's calendars that you have
read(/write) access to a little strangely. They're kind of second-class
citizens or something and it calls them 'Delegates'.

In iCal3 they were kind of hacked on using some non-CalDAV extension
stuff, but in iCal4 they're properly done using standard features of
CalDAV - just displayed odd.

To date iCal / iPhone is the only client that autoconfigures these
things - other clients you generally need to enter the URL for each
calendar you want to have in your list, so there's no particularly
standard UI paradigm for it. Recent versions of Evolution do a lookup
and offer you a list when you go to create a new CalDAV calendar, which
is a start.

I'll dig my macbook out of the closet in a day or two for pre-release
testing anyway and work out if there's some weird step you've missed or
something. FWIW when I last looked at it (i.e. around when 0.9.9 was
released) the appointments were displayed correctly for each delegated
calendar I enabled/disabled display on.

Maybe someone who uses a Mac day to day might have some more worthwhile
comment...

Cheers,
Andrew.

Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.