Mailing List Archive

users duplicating themselves?
I'll have to retract that, it looked the problem had gone but it looks like
it's just reduced in occurrence. Now rather than 3 or 4 users gaining
duplicate accounts at once it's only ever one user at a time that does it.
Normally takes a day or two between each occurrence before the next account
starts duplicating as well.

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Jason alavaliant <alavaliant at gmail.com>wrote:

> Interestingly it did turn out to be a php problem though - I installed some
> php 5.2.10 rpms and they problem has gone away. Also at the same time a
> person that was getting odd errors in iCal stopped getting them (I was
> initially thinking it was just their iCal prefs being bad but now I wonder
> if it was again something slightly odd with davical and php 5.1.6 on
> centos).
>

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Jason alavaliant <alavaliant at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Nope, according to both the rpms and the phpinfo on the setup page it's
>> php 5.1.6
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Keith Smith <
>> keith.smith at keiths-place.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You wouldn't happen to be running PHP v5.3 would you?
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Keith.

>>> users via ldap) server in the last week. Users are somehow getting
>>> duplicated and in some cases I've seen 200+ entries for a single username
>>> occur. I've deleted that principal and manually cleaned up the database
>>> as best I could but it then starts occurring with another user. (always
>>> seems to be users logging in for the first time and having their ldap
>>> settings imported but then davical continues to import them again and
>>> again). So I get a bunch of principals with different ids but the same
>>> username and other details
>>> >
>>> [cut]

>>> upgrading to 0.9.9 didn't help. At the time the issue started we had just
>>> moved from a debian stable server to the centos 5.4 server to host davical
>>> (same backend postgres server), at the same time we deployed thunderbird 3.1
>>> + lightning 1.0b2 network wide which increased the number of users logging
>>> into the davical server 80%+ So it's hard to be sure if the move to
>>> centos is what started this or the lightning 1.0b2 rollout. Particular
>>> hard as I've found no way to replicate it on demand so I can't try to
>>> isolate it.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
users duplicating themselves? [ In reply to ]
I have the issue with the duplicating users too at my at debian lenny
using php5(5.2.14-0.dotdeb.0). However I have put the check on the
ldap_drivers.php, which avoids creating multiple users. But this
temporary solution does not stop davical from trying to create multiple
users with same user name. I am wondering is this Davical problem or
php. If any one using davical on debian lenny, then please can you share
with us the detail of php version.

Thanks,
Gurvinder

users duplicating themselves? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 08:18 +0200, Gurvinder Singh wrote:
> I have the issue with the duplicating users too at my at debian lenny
> using php5(5.2.14-0.dotdeb.0). However I have put the check on the
> ldap_drivers.php, which avoids creating multiple users. But this
> temporary solution does not stop davical from trying to create
> multiple users with same user name. I am wondering is this Davical
> problem or php. If any one using davical on debian lenny, then please
> can you share with us the detail of php version.

It sounds like the LDAP query you have configured in DAViCal does not
return a unique ID. DAViCal should not create a new user if it finds
one that already exists with the same unique ID, so I wonder if you have
something wrong in your LDAP <-> DAViCal field mapping.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Does the turtle move for you? www.kame.net

users duplicating themselves? [ In reply to ]
Am 13.08.2010 um 03:57 schrieb Andrew McMillan:

> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 08:18 +0200, Gurvinder Singh wrote:
>> I have the issue with the duplicating users too at my at debian lenny
>> using php5(5.2.14-0.dotdeb.0). However I have put the check on the
>> ldap_drivers.php, which avoids creating multiple users. But this
>> temporary solution does not stop davical from trying to create
>> multiple users with same user name. I am wondering is this Davical
>> problem or php. If any one using davical on debian lenny, then please
>> can you share with us the detail of php version.
>
> It sounds like the LDAP query you have configured in DAViCal does not
> return a unique ID. DAViCal should not create a new user if it finds
> one that already exists with the same unique ID, so I wonder if you have
> something wrong in your LDAP <-> DAViCal field mapping.

It's not a bug in the field mapping, it's a bug in the drivers_ldap.php, that occurs if a user is a member in no group and if he is a member in just one group. The user update fails because the list of groups supplied by LDAP is not an array...

We ran into the same problem and were able to fix it, take a closer look at the patch my colleague posted on this list.
[.Mesage-ID: 4C444444.9080507 at servicereisen.de, Subject: few patches for drivers_ldap / ldap group import]

Greetings,
Jens

--
Jens Zahner
CIO / Leiter IT
jens.zahner at servicereisen.de
http://www.servicereisen.de

SERVICE-REISEN Heyne GmbH & Co. KG
R?dgener Str. 12, 35394 Giessen

eingetragen beim AG Giessen HRA 1333
pers?nlich haftende Gesellschafterin:
Heyne GmbH, eingetragen beim AG Giessen HRB 2163
Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Kristiane Heyne-Strauch, Karl Heyne

Make an app they can't live without
http://p.sf.net/sfu/RIM-dev2dev
users duplicating themselves? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 09:10 +0200, Jens Zahner wrote:
> Am 13.08.2010 um 03:57 schrieb Andrew McMillan:
>
> > On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 08:18 +0200, Gurvinder Singh wrote:
> >> I have the issue with the duplicating users too at my at debian lenny
> >> using php5(5.2.14-0.dotdeb.0). However I have put the check on the
> >> ldap_drivers.php, which avoids creating multiple users. But this
> >> temporary solution does not stop davical from trying to create
> >> multiple users with same user name. I am wondering is this Davical
> >> problem or php. If any one using davical on debian lenny, then please
> >> can you share with us the detail of php version.
> >
> > It sounds like the LDAP query you have configured in DAViCal does not
> > return a unique ID. DAViCal should not create a new user if it finds
> > one that already exists with the same unique ID, so I wonder if you have
> > something wrong in your LDAP <-> DAViCal field mapping.
> >

> It's not a bug in the field mapping, it's a bug in the
> drivers_ldap.php, that occurs if a user is a member in no group and if
> he is a member in just one group. The user update fails because the
> list of groups supplied by LDAP is not an array...
>
> We ran into the same problem and were able to fix it, take a closer
> look at the patch my colleague posted on this list.
> [.Mesage-ID: 4C444444.9080507 at servicereisen.de, Subject: few patches
> for drivers_ldap / ldap group import]

Ah, OK thanks - I'd missed that message, and not being a user of LDAP I
tend to know very little about it.

Regards,
Andrew.

Q: What's tan and black and looks great on a lawyer?
A: A doberman.

users duplicating themselves? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Jens Zahner
<jens.zahner at servicereisen.de>wrote:

> Am 13.08.2010 um 03:57 schrieb Andrew McMillan:
>
> > On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 08:18 +0200, Gurvinder Singh wrote:
> >> I have the issue with the duplicating users too at my at debian lenny
> >> using php5(5.2.14-0.dotdeb.0). However I have put the check on the
> >> ldap_drivers.php, which avoids creating multiple users. But this
> >> temporary solution does not stop davical from trying to create
> >> multiple users with same user name. I am wondering is this Davical
> >> problem or php. If any one using davical on debian lenny, then please
> >> can you share with us the detail of php version.
> >
> > It sounds like the LDAP query you have configured in DAViCal does not
> > return a unique ID. DAViCal should not create a new user if it finds
> > one that already exists with the same unique ID, so I wonder if you have
> > something wrong in your LDAP <-> DAViCal field mapping.
> >

> It's not a bug in the field mapping, it's a bug in the drivers_ldap.php,
> that occurs if a user is a member in no group and if he is a member in just
> one group. The user update fails because the list of groups supplied by LDAP
> is not an array...
>
> We ran into the same problem and were able to fix it, take a closer look at
> the patch my colleague posted on this list.
> [.Mesage-ID: 4C444444.9080507 at servicereisen.de, Subject: few patches for
> drivers_ldap / ldap group import]
>

> Greetings,
> Jens

Thanks for that, it certainly does sound like the fix I need. I've
applied it to my install and so far it's been one day with no duplicates so
looking promising.

-J
users duplicating themselves? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Jason alavaliant <alavaliant at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Jens Zahner <jens.zahner at servicereisen.de
> > wrote:

>> > It sounds like the LDAP query you have configured in DAViCal does not
>> > return a unique ID. DAViCal should not create a new user if it finds
>> > one that already exists with the same unique ID, so I wonder if you have
>> > something wrong in your LDAP <-> DAViCal field mapping.
>> >

>> It's not a bug in the field mapping, it's a bug in the drivers_ldap.php,
>> that occurs if a user is a member in no group and if he is a member in just
>> one group. The user update fails because the list of groups supplied by LDAP
>> is not an array...
>>
>> We ran into the same problem and were able to fix it, take a closer look
>> at the patch my colleague posted on this list.
>> [.Mesage-ID: 4C444444.9080507 at servicereisen.de, Subject: few patches for
>> drivers_ldap / ldap group import]
>>

>> Greetings,
>> Jens
>>

> Thanks for that, it certainly does sound like the fix I need. I've
> applied it to my install and so far it's been one day with no duplicates so
> looking promising.
>
> -J

Looks like that patch doesn't fix all cases or it's another bug with similar
symptoms I'm running into. I had two users start duplicating over the
weekend. one reached 563 accounts and the other 380 before we noticed and
deleted all the duplicates. I've double checked and the patch you
mentioned is definitely applied.

Andrew if you don't know enough about ldap to stop fix this could you
possibly look at adding stronger validation to the database so that attempts
to create an account using the same username as an existing one fail? (I'm
presuming there should never be a valid reason for two accounts with the
same username and it's avoids certain oddities such as the delete principal
button in the web interface deleting all other accounts with the same
username when you go to delete one of them (despite them having different
ids) and which of the many accounts does caldav.php/username/home/ end up
accessing if there are 500 accounts with the same username?) That would
atleast stop the major fallout we get from these duplications where the
server is too slow to respond to iCal so it timesout once we pass 1200
active accounts.

Thanks
users duplicating themselves? [ In reply to ]
Hello Jason,

2010/08/23 um 00:57 wrote Jason alavaliant <alavaliant at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Jason alavaliant <alavaliant at gmail.com
> > wrote:

> Looks like that patch doesn't fix all cases or it's another bug with
> similar symptoms I'm running into. I had two users start
> duplicating over the weekend. one reached 563 accounts and the
> other 380 before we noticed and deleted all the duplicates. I've
> double checked and the patch you mentioned is definitely applied.

I found some other race conditions in the ldap driver, currengly we
are doings the tests and I we can be sure our patches are working
correctly, I'll publish another patch. The list of race conditions/
problems, that we were able to identify:

- davical handles email addresses case sensitive in some parts, this
causes problems in combination with iCal on Mac
=> I have fixed these issues in the davical code, patch will be
released today.

- changeing group membership in ldap can produce a user duplication as
well.
=> We are testing the patch allready.

- The primary group membership in ldap is not supported in the davical
ldap driver currently, to fix this a lot of coding has to be done or
even a rewrite of the ldap driver... I'm working on this issue

So far Jens
--
(written on iPhone)
users duplicating themselves? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 07:31 +0200, Jens Zahner wrote:

> I found some other race conditions in the ldap driver, currengly we
> are doings the tests and I we can be sure our patches are working
> correctly, I'll publish another patch. The list of race
> conditions/problems, that we were able to identify:
>

> - davical handles email addresses case sensitive in some parts, this
> causes problems in combination with iCal on Mac
> => I have fixed these issues in the davical code, patch will be
> released today.

Strictly speaking, the left-hand-side of an e-mail address might be
case-sensitive. The right-hand-side must be case-insensitive, because it
is a domain name, and domain names are case insensitive.

ISTR putting an option in somewhere for case insensitive e-mail checks,
if people wish DAViCal to make the assumption that all e-mail addresses
are case-insensitive.

> - changeing group membership in ldap can produce a user duplication as
> well.
> => We are testing the patch already.
>

> - The primary group membership in ldap is not supported in the davical
> ldap driver currently, to fix this a lot of coding has to be done or
> even a rewrite of the ldap driver... I'm working on this issue

Note that your previous patch has been applied +/- some changes, so you
may wish to make your changes against the drivers_ldap.php from Git in
order that I can apply it more straightforwardly.

http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/blob/HEAD:/inc/drivers_ldap.php

There should not be any other changes to that file that would be
incompatible with 0.9.9.

Thanks,
Andrew McMillan.

Don't look now, but there is a multi-legged creature on your shoulder.