Mailing List Archive

Pulling GMail into DAViCal
Hi,
First, I have been following on the mailing list for some time and while
I haven't re-visited my test installation of DAViCal for a while, I am
certainly pleased with the changes I have heard about on the list. I was
happy to also find that it all worked as expected.

The problem: My issue to resolve is quite simple. I wish to pull my
publicly available calendar from Google (I have a URL to an iCalendar
file), make sure there are no reminders set in this file, and replace
the contents of a calendar inside my collection.

The reason: My partner uses her iPhone for all her organising at
present. I can't add the GMail calendar URL directly into the iPhone as
a CalDAV URL because the iPhone has to hold my hand a bit too much. As a
result she currently gets reminders for all my events on her phone and
has full access rights because I have added my calendars in as if they
were her own. Very non-ideal.

My plan is to add a public URL to my own CalDAV server using DAViCal and
allow her iPhone to connect to this. The calendar will simply be a
republished calendar from my GMail calendar collection.

I am looking for any suggestions/tips on how to accomplish this. My
initial thoughts were to pull the full calendar from the supplied URL
and push the calendar into DAViCal, replacing the existing data. Of
course my credentials would need to be stored in the script, but that
doesn't phase me for this project.

All help appreciated,
Michael Cassaniti

Pulling GMail into DAViCal [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 18:26 +1000, Michael Cassaniti wrote:
> Hi,
> First, I have been following on the mailing list for some time and while
> I haven't re-visited my test installation of DAViCal for a while, I am
> certainly pleased with the changes I have heard about on the list. I was
> happy to also find that it all worked as expected.
>
> The problem: My issue to resolve is quite simple. I wish to pull my
> publicly available calendar from Google (I have a URL to an iCalendar
> file), make sure there are no reminders set in this file, and replace
> the contents of a calendar inside my collection.
>
> The reason: My partner uses her iPhone for all her organising at
> present. I can't add the GMail calendar URL directly into the iPhone as
> a CalDAV URL because the iPhone has to hold my hand a bit too much. As a
> result she currently gets reminders for all my events on her phone and
> has full access rights because I have added my calendars in as if they
> were her own. Very non-ideal.
>
> My plan is to add a public URL to my own CalDAV server using DAViCal and
> allow her iPhone to connect to this. The calendar will simply be a
> republished calendar from my GMail calendar collection.
>
> I am looking for any suggestions/tips on how to accomplish this. My
> initial thoughts were to pull the full calendar from the supplied URL
> and push the calendar into DAViCal, replacing the existing data. Of
> course my credentials would need to be stored in the script, but that
> doesn't phase me for this project.

There is an option in DAViCal to let you hide alarms which are not in a
calendar which you have full rights to.

http://wiki.davical.org/w/Configuration/settings/hide_alarm

A problem for some people is that the calendar user they are using is
configured as the DAViCal admin, and so they *do* have admin rights over
*all* calendars. The fix is to create a separate user to use for
administrative purposes.

The configuration setting is pretty broad, and possibly there should be
a per-calendar setting for this.

Regards,
Andrew.

Necessity is the mother of documentation