Mailing List Archive

DAViCal 0.9.9 problems
Hi!

After upgrading to 0.9.9, I found the following problems regarding
invitations and freebusy scheduling:

1) The freebusy times shown both by lightning (1.0b1) and ical (Snow
Leopard 10.6.3) are off. In my tests they were both off by two hours,
which is incidentally my current offset to GMT. As both clients show the
same behaviour, I think the problem might be in DAViCal.

2) I don't understand how the access rights in DAViCal work. I was not
able to get freebusy information for a user when I set the scheduling
rights as "Privileges granted to all users". I only got access when I
added these privileges also to the principal grants. I thought these
grants were additive, but apparently they are not?

3) I don't exactly understand the meaning of the freebusy rights. What
is the meaning of "Scheduling: Deliver an Invitation" and what is the
difference to "Scheduling: Send an Invitation"? Dito for Replys? And
what is the difference between "Read Free/Busy Information" vs.
"Schduling: Query Free/Busy" vs. "Scheduling: Send Free/Busy"?

4) As another user already reported, since the upgrade to davical 0.9.9
Lightning 1.0b1 is no longer able to accept iMIP invitations for davical
calendars; I will try to investigate the reason for this in the
Lightning code.

Regards,

Norbert P?schel
--
networker, projektberatung GmbH
Kirchstr. 11a

Tel.: 02224/986158
Fax: 02224/986174
Mobil: 0163/5768493
DAViCal 0.9.9 problems [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 13:32 +0200, Norbert P?schel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After upgrading to 0.9.9, I found the following problems regarding
> invitations and freebusy scheduling:
>
> 1) The freebusy times shown both by lightning (1.0b1) and ical (Snow
> Leopard 10.6.3) are off. In my tests they were both off by two hours,
> which is incidentally my current offset to GMT. As both clients show the
> same behaviour, I think the problem might be in DAViCal.

Yeah, it seems so. I thought I'd resolved free/busy issues before I
released 0.9.9, but it seems some are still extant and I'm working on
it.

> 2) I don't understand how the access rights in DAViCal work. I was not
> able to get freebusy information for a user when I set the scheduling
> rights as "Privileges granted to all users". I only got access when I
> added these privileges also to the principal grants. I thought these
> grants were additive, but apparently they are not?

They should be additive, for any given resource. Grants from a
collection apply in place of grants by a principal, however. I'd be
interested to see more detail off-list on the problem you describe.

> 3) I don't exactly understand the meaning of the freebusy rights. What
> is the meaning of "Scheduling: Deliver an Invitation" and what is the
> difference to "Scheduling: Send an Invitation"? Dito for Replys? And
> what is the difference between "Read Free/Busy Information" vs.
> "Schduling: Query Free/Busy" vs. "Scheduling: Send Free/Busy"?

I've tried to write these up in some further detail on the wiki, but
it's taken a while for me to come to grips with the exact meaning as
well.

These are the rights defined in the RFC (well, Draft RFC, for CalDAV
scheduling :-)

As I understand it, the rights granted by schedule-deliver are related
to querying free/busy and inviting a person to a meeting. The rights
granted by schedule-send are related to supplying free/busy and
accepting(/declining) an invitation to a meeting. So while it is normal
for a user to grant the schedule-deliver set of privileges to everyone,
they would only grant the schedule-send set of privileges to someone
like an executive assistant.

Each of these privileges splits into three, for really fine-grained
control, but to be honest I'm not sure how useful that is in the real
world.

> 4) As another user already reported, since the upgrade to davical 0.9.9
> Lightning 1.0b1 is no longer able to accept iMIP invitations for davical
> calendars; I will try to investigate the reason for this in the
> Lightning code.

Yes. It seems that the caldav scheduling support in 0.9.9 which will
make iCal users happy, tickles a bug in the nascent scheduling support
in lightning.

Once I figure out a workaround for this problem I will release 0.9.9.1
with the fix.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Your heart is pure, and your mind clear, and your soul devout.