Mailing List Archive

Calendar problem
Hello everyone.

A few of us at our company are struggling to figure out some trouble
with Davical, and quite possibly our client. Namely: erroneous free/busy
time.

The attached screenshot illustrates what's happening: The "main"
calendar in the background shows our Pallav's events at the times they
are to happen in real life (11am-12pm). So, his busy time should reflect
that. As you can see, it shows him busy for several hours while there
are no events scheduled.

He has one calendar on the Davical server (.9.8.4). We are using
Thunderbird 3.0.3 with Lightning 1.0 Beta 1 on the client side.

When he downloads his freebusy time manually
(davical/freebusy.php/pallav/cal), it shows only the following which, as
we understand, is simply an empty free-busy file:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//davical.org//NONSGML AWL Calendar//EN
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VFREEBUSY
DTSTAMP:20100415T131023Z
DTSTART:19700101T003330Z
DURATION:P44D
END:VFREEBUSY
END:VCALENDAR

Pallav's only hypothesis about something he may have done to cause this
erratic behavior was to changing timezones in Lightning and continue to
create events. Could this cause some kind of corruption, database or
otherwise? We tested for timezones as we have sales personnel who travel
across the United States.

Any help, troubleshooting or insight will be met with great and true
gratitude.

Thanks,
Zach

--
Zachary M. Williams
Web Developer

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 15:42 -0400, Zach Williams wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> A few of us at our company are struggling to figure out some trouble
> with Davical, and quite possibly our client. Namely: erroneous
> free/busy time.
>
> The attached screenshot illustrates what's happening: The "main"
> calendar in the background shows our Pallav's events at the times they
> are to happen in real life (11am-12pm). So, his busy time should
> reflect that. As you can see, it shows him busy for several hours
> while there are no events scheduled.
>
> He has one calendar on the Davical server (.9.8.4). We are using
> Thunderbird 3.0.3 with Lightning 1.0 Beta 1 on the client side.
>
> When he downloads his freebusy time manually
> (davical/freebusy.php/pallav/cal), it shows only the following which,
> as we understand, is simply an empty free-busy file:
>
> BEGIN:VCALENDAR
> PRODID:-//davical.org//NONSGML AWL Calendar//EN
> VERSION:2.0
> BEGIN:VFREEBUSY
> DTSTAMP:20100415T131023Z
> DTSTART:19700101T003330Z
> DURATION:P44D
> END:VFREEBUSY
> END:VCALENDAR

That's certainly an empty file, although curiously the DTSTART seems to
be wrong. I'll check what might be happening there.

> Pallav's only hypothesis about something he may have done to cause
> this erratic behavior was to changing timezones in Lightning and
> continue to create events. Could this cause some kind of corruption,
> database or otherwise? We tested for timezones as we have sales
> personnel who travel across the United States.
>
> Any help, troubleshooting or insight will be met with great and true
> gratitude.

It does look like it could be related to timezone processing. Am I
right in seeing that there is a 1 hour event starting at 11:00am and
finishing at noon? If the timezone change that Pallav has made is a 3
hour shift then it could be that the event start is being handled
correctly, and the event end is not.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Do nothing unless you must, and when you must act -- hesitate.