Mailing List Archive

Merry Christmas and a Happy New DAViCal
Hi Everyone,

After somewhat longer than I'd hoped, I have packages of DAViCal 0.9.8
now available.

The packages for DAViCal 0.9.8 are at:
http://debian.mcmillan.net.nz/packages/davical/

And AWL version 0.39 (which is required) is at:
http://debian.mcmillan.net.nz/packages/awl/

The release notes are at:
http://wiki.davical.org/w/Release_Notes/0.9.8

A reasonable number of people have tested it already (thanks guys!), and
pronounced it working, but the changes in this release are extensive and
so there will be a softer release process this time.

I won't be putting these files into my Debian repository, or uploading
them to Debian or sf.net for a few days yet.

Probably I'm just being paranoid. My feeling is that as it stands this
release is a lot more stable than 0.9.7.x, and I have tested it
extensively against Evolution 2.28, Sunbird 1.0beta, iCal3 & 4 & iPhone
3.1, as well as with my normal regression testing.

I have not been able to test this against PostgreSQL 8.1 (earlier
versions than 8.1 are not supported) and PHP 5.1 (earlier
versions of PHP are no longer supported).

Also of note is that this version commences the switchover to the PDO
libraries for database access, which may introduce an additional
dependency.

The conversion process also *attempts* to convert the old
'relationships' into the new 'groups & grants' permission model (see
http://wiki.davical.org/w/Permissions ) but there is an inevitable
disconnect between the two models that means the conversion cannot be
perfect. It would be good to get some idea from people, particularly
people with larger and more complex databases, if the conversion process
is doing roughly the right thing for you.

The data in your databases from the old relationships will not be lost,
so if you have problems with the conversion process we should be able to
come up with some one-off SQL to achieve what you want.

This release includes substantial changes which were somewhat
interdependent, and so it has taken some time for completion. I expect
that the coming few releases will be more incremental, and should come
reasonably rapidly now.

Regards,
Andrew McMillan.

PS.
A special thank-you to NZ Registry Services who have given me a Macbook
so I can now test against iCal4, and also to Weta Digital who have given
me a Powerbook for testing against iCal3.

http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/ Porirua, New Zealand
Twitter: _karora Phone: +64(272)DEBIAN
It is often easier to tame a wild idea than to breathe life into a
dull one. -- Alex Osborn