Mailing List Archive

Starting to help development of davical
Hi,

let me first introduce myself. I'm Sebastian, a German student of
electronics and information technologies. I have programming skills in
PHP, Java (I developed an Android App this semester), C, C++, ASM (just
for programming micro-controllers) I started programming over 10 years
ago and learned PHP 8 years ago to start a small webservice with a
friend at school. Since that I did some small projects for my own.

I'm familiar with Debian and OSX. (I use a Mac for everyday usage and
I'm running some Debian servers)

I started to use Davical this week and I'm really pleased with it. I had
tried the Apple caldav-server some time before and that thing was really
ugly and didn't work well.

But I saw that there is still a lot of work to do. Since I'm sure that I
am able to help I'm offering here some of my development time.
I haven't worked on a OpenSource project before so I don't know where I
should start. I think at first it would be good to have a look at the
source. I have already cloned the git repo. So I have a look at it
during the next few days.

But maybe you have an idea of a small task to start that you can assign
to my duties?

Maybe I will contribute to the wiki. I managed to setup Davical with
Lighttpd and had to setup some things which were not documented very well.

Maybe we should just get in contact at first and then we will see.

best regards

Sebastian Quilitz

Re: Starting to help development of davical [ In reply to ]
Hi Sebastian,

great that you are willing to spend some of your developer time for the
davical project. The Wiki definitely needs some loving.
Regarding development tasks you should ask Andrew what he thinks what
you should have a look at. There is a bug tracker and a suggested
feature list. Maybe it's worth looking at it.
I am not a php developer so I can't write code for the project, but
wanted to say thanks for your commitment.

Cheers Soeren

Re: Starting to help development of davical [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 10:24 +0200, Sebastian Quilitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> let me first introduce myself. I'm Sebastian, a German student of
> electronics and information technologies. I have programming skills in
> PHP, Java (I developed an Android App this semester), C, C++, ASM (just
> for programming micro-controllers) I started programming over 10 years
> ago and learned PHP 8 years ago to start a small webservice with a
> friend at school. Since that I did some small projects for my own.
>
> I'm familiar with Debian and OSX. (I use a Mac for everyday usage and
> I'm running some Debian servers)
>
> I started to use Davical this week and I'm really pleased with it. I had
> tried the Apple caldav-server some time before and that thing was really
> ugly and didn't work well.
>
> But I saw that there is still a lot of work to do. Since I'm sure that I
> am able to help I'm offering here some of my development time.
> I haven't worked on a OpenSource project before so I don't know where I
> should start. I think at first it would be good to have a look at the
> source. I have already cloned the git repo. So I have a look at it
> during the next few days.
>
> But maybe you have an idea of a small task to start that you can assign
> to my duties?
>
> Maybe I will contribute to the wiki. I managed to setup Davical with
> Lighttpd and had to setup some things which were not documented very well.
>
> Maybe we should just get in contact at first and then we will see.

Hi Sebastian,

Sorry I only just found this old e-mail now!

An area where DAViCal could really do with some love is in writing some
PHP which will allow to configure a new installation through a web
interface. In a simple form this would involve:

(a) recognising that DAViCal is not configured.
(b) capturing the credentials to connect to the database as admin
(c) creating the database and users

Not sure if that sounds like something you might be interested in, but
if so I have some vague code that goes somewhat in that direction.

Regards,
Andrew.

Some people only open up to tell you that they're closed.