Mailing List Archive

[DAViCal-general] Any way to send email alert about upcoming calendar event?
On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 12:49 -0500, Terry Carmen wrote:
> Various clients have a way to send alerts about upcoming events, however
> this isn't helpful when the client is offline.
>
> Is there any way to send email alerts from the davical server (maybe
> have cron check every few minutes for upcoming events?)

Hi Terry,

I don't know of anything that anyone has written to do this, but it
shouldn't be too tricky.

If I were to approach it I would tend to do a periodic query to select
the things that will need notifying in the coming X minutes for a given
calendar.

Then I'd save that list, possibly using the hooks on INSERT / DELETE /
MODIFY that were added during the 0.9.7.x series in order to update that
list only when the data changed. There are examples of using these
hooks in the new 'push' notifications by Rob Ostenson (thanks Rob :-).

I'd then run the notification as a separate cronjob to read that list
and then do the actual e-mail (or SMS, remote control poking device,
siren, water cannon, etc ... :-) on anything that still needed it.

An approach like this would minimise the load on the database and
simplify the process of extending it to use different alarm notification
types in the future.

Cheers,
Andrew.

PS. I've cc'd Developers just in case someone is looking for a way to
contribute.

You may be recognized soon. Hide.