Mailing List Archive

Conserver + IPMI/Serial Over LAN
Hi all,

Using a small expect script as glue, I've managed to plug conserver into
Intel's "dpcproxy" program, which lets you speak their Serial Over LAN
(sol) protocol to Intel motherboards with IPMI (such as the Intel
SE7501WV2, which I understand is also used by some of Sun's "SunFire"
Xeon servers).

I have used this to implement serial consoles + serial BIOS on a half
rack of servers, with only ethernet, and power connections to each
machine - no serial concentrators or serial cabling required (!) - IPMI
also gives you remote power on/off, and hardware health stuff, amongst
other things.

If anyone is interested, I've posted the glue script here:

http://buttersideup.com/docs/howto/IPMI_on_Debian_files/

as part of this howto:

http://buttersideup.com/docs/howto/IPMI_on_Debian.html

Any comments welcome!