Mailing List Archive

More break help needed
OK so call me stupid, but I sure am having problems with break sequences,
I'm now 2 for 2.

Perhaps if I understood the break sequence syntax I might be able to
figure this out.

I've poked around some but haven't found anything about the syntax, how do
you figure out what to send?

For example in the config file the sun-std sequence is "\z" what does that
men in simple english? I guess it equates to send brk.

I'm now working on the alternate break sequence, so what does "\r\d~\d^b"
mean I surmise <return>~<CTRL>B, but what means what?

When I send the alternate break sequence I get
[halt sent]
# ^B
but the server continues to run. If I change the sequence back to default
the standard break sequence works just fine.

FWIW This is Solaris 8 on a 4500 using a Cisco 2600 32 port terminal server.

As always any guidance/help will be greatly appreciated.
--
"Unencumbered by the thought process"
--1992-2000 Click and Clack presidential campaign slogan
Re: More break help needed [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 18 May 2004, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:

> OK so call me stupid, but I sure am having problems with break sequences,
> I'm now 2 for 2.
>
> Perhaps if I understood the break sequence syntax I might be able to
> figure this out.
>
> I've poked around some but haven't found anything about the syntax, how do
> you figure out what to send?
>
> For example in the config file the sun-std sequence is "\z" what does that
> men in simple english? I guess it equates to send brk.

I believe so.

> I'm now working on the alternate break sequence, so what does "\r\d~\d^b"
> mean I surmise <return>~<CTRL>B, but what means what?

newline, pause, ~, pause, ^B

> When I send the alternate break sequence I get
> [halt sent]
> # ^B
> but the server continues to run. If I change the sequence back to default
> the standard break sequence works just fine.

Right, IIRC, this is the "Alternate Break Sequence" in solaris, defined so
you can have something other than a break (which some term servers send on
shutdown / disconnect) to halt the machine.

I'm not super-solaris guy so, someone please correct whatever
misinformation I have :)

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby@uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free
Re: More break help needed [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 10:00:48AM -0400, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:
> Perhaps if I understood the break sequence syntax I might be able to
> figure this out.

it's all in the conserver.cf manpage (also webified off the
conserver.com website - though the formatting isn't great).

> I've poked around some but haven't found anything about the syntax,
> how do you figure out what to send?

knowing what to send depends on the console you're interacting with
(how it's configured, as well). nathan's post explained it. and since
you've got a method that works (the '\z' - serial break), it sounds like
you're set.

if the manpage doesn't explain things clearly enough, let me know.
i'll supplement it with more info.

Bryan
Re: More break help needed [ In reply to ]
Bryan,
Of course I overlooked the obvious and didn't thouroughly check the man
pages for an explanation of the break sequence characters.

As for the break sequence eventhough the standard break sequence works we
use the alternate <CR> ~ ^B but when I send it all I get is ^B and no
break. Any suggestions?

Pete

Re: More break help needed [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 03:32:13PM -0400, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:
> As for the break sequence eventhough the standard break sequence works we
> use the alternate <CR> ~ ^B but when I send it all I get is ^B and no
> break. Any suggestions?

two possibilities, mainly 'cause i'm still not clear on your setup.

first off, if you haven't told your suns to recognize the alternate
break sequence, you'll need to enable it with modifying /etc/default/kbd
or using the 'kbd' command. that'll disable the standard serial break
and enable the alt-break recognition.

second, you'll more than likely need to insert delays into the break
sequence. so, something like

break 2 { string "\r\d~\d^b"; delay 600; }

should work. if you use this, make sure you apply the patch i posted
yesterday regarding break sequences...as this tickles the existing bug.

so, hopefully, with those two things done, it should start properly
sending the break sequence and the host should start recognizing it.

Bryan
Re: More break help needed [ In reply to ]
Bryan,
I'm all set with the alternate break sequence, been using it pretty much
since it came out. I'm using the suggested break 2 sequence, but not the
patch, so I'll run that in and see if that solves the problem.

Thx
Pete

Re: More break help needed [ In reply to ]
Bryan,
Well the patch fixed it, the output is a little odd and dirty, but it does
work, this is what I got

host:root> [halt sent]

host:root> ~Type 'go' to resume
{1} ok go