Mailing List Archive

Can't get conserver to work
I've just downloaded conserver, and compiled it on Solaris9.

I've got the daemon running, and I'm trying to get to the console of
either the local host or another Sun running Solaris 9.

The local host has a console and keyboard the remote host doesn't.

I've looked through the archives, but I'm afraid that I don't even know
where to begin to even ask the right questions, and my searches thus far
have come up empty.

The current situation is that no matter how I twist and turn I can't get
it to accept a password, not to mention that when I try to get the remote
hosts' console I'm prompted for the login password on the local host, or
is that the way it's supposed to work?

This is what I get

console -v -l pete myhost
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
console: too many bad passwords for `myhost.mydomain.com'

console -v -l pete myremotehost
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
Enter pete@myhost's password:
myhost.mydomain.com: invalid password
console: too many bad passwords for `myhost.mydomain.com'

conserver -V
conserver: conserver.com version 8.1.0
conserver: default access type `r'
conserver: default escape sequence `^Ec'
conserver: default configuration in `/usr/local/conserver/etc/conserver.cf'
conserver: default password in `/usr/local/conserver/etc/conserver.passwd'
conserver: default logfile is `/var/log/conserver'
conserver: default pidfile is `/var/run/conserver.pid'
conserver: default limit is 16 members per group
conserver: default primary port referenced as `782'
conserver: default secondary base port referenced as `0'
conserver: options: none
conserver: built with `./configure --prefix=/usr/local/conserver
--with-port=782 --with-master=myhost.mydomain.com'

I want it to access the /etc/passwd and eventually I'll be using several
Xylogics and Cisco 2600 terminal servers.

I'm guessing the conserver.cf file is the problem, but I'm not sure.

So what's the secret to getting this to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Pete
--
"Unencumbered by the thought process"
--1992-2000 Click and Clack presidential campaign slogan
Re: Can't get conserver to work [ In reply to ]
On 2004-01-25 at 17:16, Pete Geenhuizen (pgeenhuizen@carolina.rr.com) wrote:

> I've got the daemon running, and I'm trying to get to the console of
> either the local host or another Sun running Solaris 9.

How are connecting to the console on the remote machine? It's not
clear from your message if you understand that you need to have a
serial connection, or if you think conserver will magically connect you
to a remote machine's console.

> The local host has a console and keyboard the remote host doesn't.

If there is a local keyboard, then you won't be able to access the
console on that machine unless you've specified in the NVRAM to use a
certain serial port as the console instead of a local keyboard and
monitor.

> console -v -l pete myhost
> Enter pete@myhost's password:

This is conserver's password protection, so that not just anyone on
your host can connect. If you want to override this for testing, set
your local host as "trusted" in the conserver.cf file.
Re: Can't get conserver to work [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the reply Jim, you've confirmed some of what I was thinking.
I got the program working at work with some terminal servers, works pretty good, very impressive.
I have a couple more questions.  I think I know the answer to this one, can console be used  on a host other than the host that conserver is running on?

Do you know if it's possible to set up conserver to connect to netcon on an SSP for E10Ks?  Sure would be nice if it could.

Thx
Pete

Re: Can't get conserver to work [ In reply to ]
On 2004-01-26 at 17:43, Pete Geenhuizen (pgeenhuizen@carolina.rr.com) wrote:

> can console be used on a host other than the host that conserver
> is running on?

Yes. It listens on a port. Just install the client program on any
host and it will connect to the conserver daemon.

> Do you know if it's possible to set up conserver to connect to netcon
> on an SSP for E10Ks?

Sorry, but my Sun knowledge doesn't extend to those models that cost
more than a house.