Mailing List Archive

64-bit systems?
Re: 64-bit systems? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 06:19:19AM +0200, Jorgen Hagg wrote:
> Could someone explain the problem with 64bit & conserver?

basically, it's untested.

> What would happen if I add --with-64bit to the conserver package?
> Would it still work for 32bit systems?

if you add --with-64bit, it should "just work". the --with-64bit flag
doesn't do anything on a 32bit system. i believe there is at least one
person out there successfully running conserver on a 64bit system, but i
can't guarantee it. there were issues in the past with passing 64bit
values to library calls that expected 32bit values. sometimes
compilations would fail, other times it compiled but got run-time
errors. the library calls i'm talking about are various ipv4 calls
(can't remember which, exactly).

so, in theory all the right data types are being used and a 64bit system
will "just work". but, there's the chance it won't since it hasn't been
tested, and maybe it's only certain 64bit systems that will work.

i'd love to know for sure if 64bit compilation works...and if so, we can
just remove the need for --with-64bit it's just a configure check for
paranoia.

Bryan
RE: 64-bit systems? [ In reply to ]
Greetings,
I'm running conserver in 64 bit on hp-ux. I can't remember the differences off hand, but it was a difference in types between a 32-bit and 64-bit system...
I haven't upgraded yet as someone took my console server away "for a few weeks" and I still don't have it back...
:-(
You should just try it with the --with-64bit flag and see if it works. If it does then please let everyone know and perhaps Bryan can eventually remove the "warning" message.

Adam

DISCLAIMER:
This message is intended for the sole use of the individual to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete this message.