port of a Cisco 6500. When I run minicom, I have a pristine connection, no
errors, no slowness, no garbling of text, yet when I run with conserver and
connect, there are frequently characters/words missing. The setup between
minicom and conserver is the same (9600,8n1), and when I do a ^eco, the port
is listed as [up], and there are no errors in the logs...

Has anyone experienced something similar, and if so, have you found a
solution? Take care,

Kevin

Re: Cisco 6500 and console woes [ In reply to ]
Hi Kevin,

Indeed, I have seen something similar. I have a home brew system built
from a number of pl2303 usb to serial bridges. I saw some data loss with
conserver and not with other serial software... I looked at the
differences between conserver and ckermit and found that conserver had a
non blocking option set on the serial port file descriptor. This meant
that the device refused characters with an error if they were sent too
quickly. Typically, the cursor keys failed to function correctly
(because three chars are sent in quick succession and cut/paste failed)

Switching on blocking on the filedescriptor cleared up the problem.

You can check that by running strace or truss and looking for write
errors to the tty file descriptors.

I wrote to Bryan about it and he seemed quite positive about the
possibility of switching to a blocking filedescriptor and that he would
have a look.

I have a patch but it is not a very good one. It switches the blocking
behaviour off in the wrong place. Probably best to do it where the fd is
initially opened by removing the N_DELAY option.

I've attached a web page that describes our setup and includes my (poor)
patch.

Regards,
Martin.