host1_alias1:/dev/ttyD001:9600p:/dev/null:
host1_alias2:/dev/ttyD001:9600p:/dev/null:

Trying to make a serial connection to this host via conserver results in lines like this going to the log:

[Fri Apr 18 09:29:35 2003] conserver (30590): ERROR: [host1] lost carrier (/dev/ttyD003)
[Fri Apr 18 09:29:35 2003] conserver (30590): [host1] automatic reinitialization

Is having more than one line corresponding to a port possible?

Thanks for any input.

-- Dan
Daniel Hanks - Systems/Database Administrator
About Inc., Web Services Division
Re: Port aliases [ In reply to ]
nope, every console entry in the cf file is opened and managed, so if
you point at the same device file or socket on a terminal server,
whichever console happens to come up first will grab the port and the
others will fail.

i'm kinda wondering, why do you want to reference the same port more
than once? is it just so folks can say 'console host1' and 'console
host1_alias1' and get the same console? if that's it, the idea is on
the TODO list (see the TODO file for the full list). if not, what are
you trying to accomplish?

glad to hear things seem good aside from this.

Bryan

Re: Port aliases [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Bryan Stansell wrote:

> nope, every console entry in the cf file is opened and managed, so if
> you point at the same device file or socket on a terminal server,
> whichever console happens to come up first will grab the port and the
> others will fail.

Ok, figured as much.

> i'm kinda wondering, why do you want to reference the same port more
> than once? is it just so folks can say 'console host1' and 'console
> host1_alias1' and get the same console? if that's it, the idea is on
> the TODO list (see the TODO file for the full list). if not, what are
> you trying to accomplish?

Yeah, basically.

We manage upwards of 100 boxes. Sometimes it's nice to be able to refer to them by hostname (www.foo.com), sometimes it's nice to refer to them by their physical location (r1m2 (rack 1, machine 2)), and sometimes it's nice to refer to them by the serial port number that connects to them (such as when we're installing them and they don't have a hostname yet...). Just for convenience sake (kinda like 'views').

It would just be nice to be able to refer to a given port by more than one name.

> glad to hear things seem good aside from this.

Very pleased so far.