Mailing List Archive

Initial installation and configuration
Hi,

I'm experiencing difficulties in getting Conserver working after the initial
installation. I am able to start the conserver daemon, however when I
connect using 'console -a serverA', I don't get the serverA's console login.
No output appears, other than the ^Ec escape sequence. 'console -u' shows
that the port is up, but the communication is still a problem.

I've installed a Cyclom Y RISC-Based Multiport Serial Board (16 port, db25
pin) to a standalone p.c running Linux Redhat 7.0 kernel 2.2.16-22 i686. The
software provided with the board successfully tested its installation. I
then extracted the tarball, and ran the following commands for installation:

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/conserver \
--with-cffile=/usr/local/conserver/etc/conserver.cf \
--pwdfile=/usr/local/conserver/etc/conserver.passwd

# make
# make install

---

My conserver.cf file contains the following information:

LOGDIR=/var/log
serverA:/dev/ttyC0:9600:&:15m
%%
allowed: 127.0.0.1 serverA

---

My conserver.passwd file contains:

root:*passwd*:any
shal:*passwd*:any

---

I read elsewhere that mingetty doesn't suffice for serial lines so I
installed a mgetty rpm, however it hasn't resolved my problem. My
/etc/inittab file is the generic installation file, with this entry for
mgetty:

s2:12345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -r -s 9600 /dev/ttyC0

---

I'm a new user, so I'm not sure what else needs to be considered when
configuring the setup. The Linux PC's only purpose is to act at the console
access server, it's not networked. The intention is to attach the serial
consoles of several Sun servers to the serial board. If more information is
required, please advise so I can provide these. Any assistance is very much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Shal Halka
Unix Systems Administrator

Initial installation and configuration [ In reply to ]
Hi,

May be you can try to install getty instead of mgetty. It is not the
standard package in linux 7.0, you may need to download it from
rpmfind.net. I can connect to the serial console successfully by using
getty. Of course, you need to replace mgetty with getty in inittab.

Thanks.

Kaming.

Initial installation and configuration [ In reply to ]
Hi Shal,

Sounds like things are working ok on the conserver side (well, as far
as can be seen). I suggest you use another tool (like minicom) to
connect to your serial port and see if you get a login prompt. You may
even want to connect a laptop or some other device to the serial port
instead of using the linux box. Basically, start working from a "is
the host working" question to a "is the serial card working" question
to a "is conserver working" question (keep adding the layers). That
will help determine if it's a mgetty/getty problem, serial card
problem, or conserver problem. If you can see the console using
something like minicom and still have problems with conserver, let us
know.

Hope that helps - a bit, at least.

Bryan
Initial installation and configuration [ In reply to ]
Another basic question...are you sure that your serial
ports are correctly configured? (Have you used TIP to
communicate with the attached host before starting Conserver?
Or, with conserver running, if you reset the host, do you
see console messages during the boot cycle? (Heck, even
with the host running, if you telnet to the host and then
SU to root, you should see a "su to root succeeded..."
message on the serial console.)

In short, you should be sure that the serial connection
is working (data leads correctly connected, and port
speeds set to match) before spending a lot of time
hackiong with Conserver setting. :-)

There are some basic serial clues on my Minor Scroll
of Serial Knowledge, if you'd care to check there;

http://www.conserver.com/consoles/msock.html

Regards,

-Z- http://www.conserver.com/consoles/breakinfo.html