Conserver. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Yashar
Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Yashar Bashiri Moghadam
<ybashiri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Conserver for testing purposes but unfortunately is
> not able to. when I run ./configure I get a error message saying "no
> acceptable C compiler found in $PATH". I'm using Ubunu and tried to install
> gcc but again having difficulties installing that. I'm an intern in York
> University IT department and trying to migrate our console service to
> Conserver. Your help is much appreciated.

apt-cache search conserver

Eric
Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
Run in a terminal apt-get install build-essential,
This should give you what you need.
Thanks
Don Clark

Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
Thanks a lot, I actually re-install my Ubuntu and install the Server version
and Conserver compiled no poblem. The only problem is that I can't find the
the executable. I did make install but there is no executable.

Thanks

Yashar

Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
On Jul 12 08:37, Eric Biederman wrote:
> apt-cache search conserver

Eric was trying to tell you that conserver is probably already included
in Ubuntu. You don't need to build it yourself, just install it.

On Jul 13 08:18, Yashar Bashiri Moghadam wrote:
> Thanks a lot, I actually re-install my Ubuntu and install the Server version
> and Conserver compiled no poblem. The only problem is that I can't find the
> the executable. I did make install but there is no executable.

It probably installed to /usr/local.

I'd follow Eric's recommendation and install the package.

Nate
Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
Hi,

How do you start the service???..do I need to connect it to server or
switches in order to make it work or is it possible to have test environment
on stand alone server??

Thanks

Yashar

Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
I did installed and compiled it..I just can't run it...

Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
On 7/13/2010 7:29 AM, Yashar Bashiri Moghadam wrote:
> I did installed and compiled it..I just can't run it...

What have you tried (exactly)?

Have you downloaded the source code and read the README & similar files?

z!
Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
autologin config.h.in configure.in contrib Makefile TODO
CHANGES config.log conserver FAQ Makefile.in
compat.h config.status conserver.cf INSTALL PROTOCOL
config.guess config.sub conserver.html install-sh README
config.h configure console LICENSE test

That's how my conserever folder looks like... I have copied conserver.cf to
/usr/local/etc/conserver.cf.
when I say conserver -d I get this error message >>> ERROR:
getservbyname(conserver) failed

Thanks a lot

Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
On 7/13/2010 8:37 AM, Yashar Bashiri Moghadam wrote:
> when I say conserver -d I get this error message>>> ERROR:
> getservbyname(conserver) failed

Sounds like your DNS doesn't know the name "conserver".

From http://www.conserver.com/INSTALL:
Does your conserver master hostname exist? This is the
hostname specified with the --with-master option. By default
the hostname is "console", so make sure it's in DNS, hosts
files, or whatever.

z!
Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
Yashar, perhaps you can try reading through a slightly-old Conserver class
I put on a LISA. It covers much of what is in the Conserver FAQ, but
includes other info you may find useful.

The basic presentation -
http://www.conserver.com/consoles/Training/LISA2002-T9.PDF

Other info is on my Published Info page -
http://www.conserver.com/consoles/Training/published.html

Regards,

-Z- (The *other* Z... ;-)

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Yashar Bashiri Moghadam <ybashiri@gmail.com
> wrote:

> autologin config.h.in configure.in contrib Makefile TODO
> CHANGES config.log conserver FAQ Makefile.in
> compat.h config.status conserver.cf INSTALL PROTOCOL
> config.guess config.sub conserver.html install-sh README
> config.h configure console LICENSE test
>
> That's how my conserever folder looks like... I have copied conserver.cfto /usr/local/etc/
> conserver.cf.
> when I say conserver -d I get this error message >>> ERROR:
> getservbyname(conserver) failed
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Carl Zwanzig <cpz@tuunq.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/13/2010 7:29 AM, Yashar Bashiri Moghadam wrote:
>>
>>> I did installed and compiled it..I just can't run it...
>>>

>> What have you tried (exactly)?
>>
>> Have you downloaded the source code and read the README & similar files?
>>
>> z!

ConsoleTeam - Support and training services for Conserver users.
www.conserver.com/consoles/
consoleteam.blogspot.com
Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
Thanks very much, it is very helpfull.

Cheers

Yash

Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone,

I have some difficulties working with Conserver, I have my server setup and
is connected to an Avocent box. I'm trying to connect to the ports and try
different commands but keep getting errors like these...
"FileOpen(/var/consoles/ser-steacie-g39u24.cons): No such file or directory:
forcing down". I don't even have this file...maybe I made a mistake
installing or configuring it??? Any idea would be appreciated.

Cheers

Yashar

Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
The location /var/consoles is where Conserver will put the log files for each named port in conserver.cf, so I'm guessing you have a console description in conserver.cf called ser-steacie-g39u24, correct?

Does conserver have the permissions to write to that directory (which should have been created during the install). Did you run your install as root, or as a non-root user?

< Z >

Re: Hello [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the reply Zonker, I think I did it as root.
ser-steacie-g39u24.cons in the Avocent appliance name on the network that I
added to the conf file. Even when I use sudo I still get the same error.

Cheers,

Yashar