Mailing List Archive

trying to get conserver running
I am trying to get conserver running on a Solaris 10 box.
Unfortunately, my old console server, running conserver version 4 is
totally dead, so I'm trying to piece it together. I have both manually
made a conserver.cf which is below (thanks Bryan) and used the convert
command by manually trying to recreate the old conserver.cf. Every time
I get the error
open(/dev/sts/ttyC40): No such file or directory: forcing down
when I run /usr/local/sbin/conserver. My question is, is it actually
looking for a file or directory, and if so what? Or is this related to
the hardware not seeing it? Thanks, Sarah

### set up global access
default full { rw *; }

### define some terminal server specifics
# we set portbase and portinc so we can reference the ports in a
# physical representation and let conserver do the math to figure
# out the actual socket address

### set up some custom break sequences
break 4 { string "+\d+\d+"; delay 300; }
break 5 { string "\033c"; }

### set the defaults for all the consoles
# these get applied before anything else
access * { allowed 127.0.0.1; }

default digi {
master localhost; logfile &;
type device; baud 9600; parity none;
host unused;
device /dev/sts/ttyC&;
devicesubst &=P02d;
rw *;
}

console nomads1 { include digi; port 45; }
console fdr7 { include digi; port 40 ;}
Re: trying to get conserver running [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Sarah Thompson wrote:

> I am trying to get conserver running on a Solaris 10 box.
> Unfortunately, my old console server, running conserver version 4 is
> totally dead, so I'm trying to piece it together. I have both manually
> made a conserver.cf which is below (thanks Bryan) and used the convert
> command by manually trying to recreate the old conserver.cf. Every time
> I get the error
> open(/dev/sts/ttyC40): No such file or directory: forcing down
> when I run /usr/local/sbin/conserver. My question is, is it actually
> looking for a file or directory, and if so what? Or is this related to
> the hardware not seeing it? Thanks, Sarah

Err... so
- is there really is a /dev/sts/ttyC40?
- is that the right device filename for your serial port?
- If so, does the user you are running conserver have read permissions on it?

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby@uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
core services support
Re: trying to get conserver running [ In reply to ]
what precise model of digi device are you using?

some of the ethernet-connected units come with a solaris device driver
which makes the remote ports look like local tty devices, but for
conserver you're generally better off setting the lines into "printer"
mode (which creates one listening tcp port per line) and just connecting
via the telnet client built into conserver.

- Bill