Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Error installing from source
Hello list.

I am try to install from source 0.103.10 on some mailservers, most of
them have Centos 7 last version and one with Centos 6. When I run make
(after ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-milter) and I get many
errors like:

cc1plus: warning: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-dangling-else"
[enabled by default]
cc1plus: warning: unrecognized command line option
"-Wno-logical-op-parentheses" [enabled by default]
make[4]: *** [../libclamunrar/libclamunrar_la-archive.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/qbit/clamav-0.103.10/libclamav'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/qbit/clamav-0.103.10/libclamav'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/qbit/clamav-0.103.10/libclamav'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/qbit/clamav-0.103.10'
make: *** [all] Error 2

All servers have already 0.103.8 and I had never problem installing
before.

Any help will be appreciated.

Nikos.

Re: [clamav-users] Error installing from source [ In reply to ]
Hello,

In the Message;

Subject : [clamav-users] Error installing from source
Date & Time: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 12:21:13 +0300

[NG] == Nikos Gatsis via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> has written:

NG> Hello list.

NG> I am try to install from source 0.103.10 on some mailservers, most of them have
NG> Centos 7 last version and one with Centos 6. When I run make (after ./configure
NG> --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-milter) and I get many errors like:

NG> cc1plus: warning: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-dangling-else" [enabled
NG> by default]
NG> cc1plus: warning: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-logical-op-parentheses"
NG> [enabled by default]
NG> make[4]: *** [../libclamunrar/libclamunrar_la-archive.lo] Error 1
NG> make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/qbit/clamav-0.103.10/libclamav'
NG> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
NG> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/qbit/clamav-0.103.10/libclamav'
NG> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
NG> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/qbit/clamav-0.103.10/libclamav'
NG> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
NG> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/qbit/clamav-0.103.10'
NG> make: *** [all] Error 2

NG> All servers have already 0.103.8 and I had never problem installing before.

Build with -DENABLR_UNRAR=OFF option.

Regards.

---
$B(.(,(,(/WD(B $BLn5\(B $B8-(B mail-to: nomiya @ lake.dti.ne.jp
$B(-!@!?WD(B
$B(1(,(,(0(B "Companies have come to view generative AI as a kind of monster that
must be fed at all costs$B!=(Beven if it isn$B!G(Bt always clear what exactly
that data is needed for or what those future AI systems might end up
doing."

-- Generative AI Is Making Companies Even More Thirsty for Your Data --

Re: [clamav-users] Error installing from source [ In reply to ]

of them have
./configure

"-Wno-dangling-else" [enabled
"-Wno-logical-op-parentheses"

before.

> Build with -DENABLR_UNRAR=OFF option.

> Regards.

I run:

./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-milter --disable-unrar

and my problem solved.

Thank you for your help.

Nikos

Re: [clamav-users] Error installing from source [ In reply to ]
Hi

What version of GCC is installed on the server you are seeing this
problem ?

Regards Paul

Re: [clamav-users] Error installing from source [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Centos 7 server:
Name : gcc
Arch : x86_64
Version : 4.8.5
Release : 44.el7

On Centos 6 server:

Name : gcc
Arch : x86_64
Version : 4.4.7
Release : 23.el6

Regards

Re: [clamav-users] Error installing from source [ In reply to ]
HI

You need to find a later version of GCC for your servers.

I had a similar problem with some legacy Ubuntu machines. Fortunately an
upgrade to GCC 7.5 was available in the Ubuntu release archive.

The C++ code in libunrar has been uplifted as well as a very nasty bug
being fixed.

Paul

Re: [clamav-users] Error installing from source [ In reply to ]
off topic a bit. I have the impression distributions are ending for anything other than being an os. Over the last view years you can just notice how they have problems with maintaining packages. This redhat is just taking source and redesigning functionality for their own interests. On the other hand you have 'dumb' developers that do not even know about LTS versions and just use any (unsupported) library they can find.

You have to start thinking about putting things like clamav into containers. I am currently using this alpine linux <50MB, this goes well with clamav. Even better would be if no container os image was required.
Redhat/centos is totally unusable for containers because they have 'idiots' there creating dependencies on everything, before you know it you have installed >200MB of useless packages.
I think Redhat fixed something for me once, but I am not going to file endless bug reports there.

Re: [clamav-users] Error installing from source [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Oct 2023, Paul Netpresto wrote:

> HI
>
> You need to find a later version of GCC for your servers.
>
> I had a similar problem with some legacy Ubuntu machines. Fortunately an
> upgrade to GCC 7.5 was available in the Ubuntu release archive.

For CentOS 6 the devtoolset-7 suite will give you gcc-7.3.1

I never used CentOS 7, RHEL7 or other clones, but newer versions of gcc
are available for that too.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: [clamav-users] Error installing from source [ In reply to ]
Hi,

A newer version of GCC should solve the problem, but you may be able to resolve it with the old GCC as well. Some other users have reported mixed results in this discussion: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/issues/1017

The most recent comment states:

Personally it works for me when I run it like this:
./configure CXXFLAGS='-std=c++11'

If you're wondering what changed that is causing this issue, the reason is that we had to upgrade to a newer version of UnRAR for extracting RAR archives because of a CVE in the UnRAR library. And the newer version of UnRAR is now using some C++ 11 features that do not work with the default settings for older versions of GCC.

Regards,
Micah

Regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Re: [clamav-users] Error installing from source [ In reply to ]
Hi, thank you for your help.
Unfortunatelly Centos distributions dont update many of the compontents,
so sometimes have to workaround.

Thanks again.