Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: [clamav-users] problem for freshclam [ In reply to ]
HI Dorian
i see i was late for the game ,had cpu trouble as my systems infected
i also see the big boys are helping you now they certainly know more than i do
though Ged is wrong in his presumption about cron it gets involved weather you like it or not

you could have a look at the blue inferface of the configuration file
the defult is the first one might help you understand what is going on
the command is as follows ,but you do so at your own risk
you can flick threw it though ,with out changing any of the configuation for a better understanding
but i think you would find the same information on your clam configuation file

to get blue interface box open termianl and type

sudo dpkg-reconfigure clamav-freshclam

you might need (manual )at the end of the command line typed but i do not
think so

all the best colin

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] problem for freshclam [ In reply to ]
in this rare instance oogle is your freind Dorian though i still think you
would be better off with first 3 commands i gave you

n your case lsof does not need to check the GVFS file systems so you can exclude the stat() calls on them using the -e option (or you can just ignore the waring):

lsof -e /run/user/1000/gvfs

or you could kill the process like Ereo said that would proberly work as well and maybe better you will find all your process in systems monitor
carfull how you go with it though look around by all means but dont mess with it
its like windows yuk task manager and the tab your looking for is you guessed it processes

have a good evening dorian from blighty

kind regards colin

Re: [clamav-users] problem for freshclam [ In reply to ]
Colin I have a good news,

sudo dpkg-reconfigure a installed correctly freshclam when I launch freshclam it works good,

You have success,

Thanks you for all your help,

Regards.

Dorian Rosse.
________________________________

Re: [clamav-users] problem for freshclam [ In reply to ]
that is indeed great news dorian :)
any idear what it was that brought you a working clam?
all the best to and yours and dont forget to check that web site
there will be plenty information on there to do with france

Re: [clamav-users] problem for freshclam [ In reply to ]
i see i should have read your email with more care
well done you

now if i could only get mine to download some signatures
but it wont do that as its out of date
kind regards and all the best colin

Re: [clamav-users] problem for freshclam [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Sun, 30 Jan 2022, colin course via clamav-users wrote:

> i see i should have read your email with more care
> well done you
>

> now if i could only get mine to download some signatures
> but it wont do that as its out of date

Perhaps you should have read my email with more care too:

https://lists.clamav.net/pipermail/clamav-users/2022-January/012257.html

If your laptop still has only 483.4 MiB of RAM then it doesn't meet the
recommended minimum system requirements to run ClamAV - at least to run
clamd and clamscan, using the officially published signature databases.

PLEASE read the documentation:

https://docs.clamav.net/Introduction.html

Scroll down to "Recommended System Requirements".

Even if you do manage to download the signature database, you probably
won't be able to make good use of it.

Until you get more memory for your laptop or another computer, I think
you'll just be wasting your time.

According to

http://www.computer-specifications.com/specifications/Dell-LatitudeD510-Specs.html

it looks like the maximum that you can install will be 2GB. That's a
little tight, about the bare minimum for running ClamAV, but if the
maximum is only 1GB then I think you'll need a different computer.

2GB of memory for your laptop should be pretty cheap, for example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/PC2-4200-DDR2-533-2GB-RAM/170083/bn_615479

When you have a computer which is reasonably capable of running ClamAV
to scan things it might make sense to talk about downloading databases.

It's pointless complaining here about an out of date ClamAV version
when you're the one who installed it and the latest version is freely
available to you:

https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Installing.html
https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Installing/Packages.html
https://www.clamav.net/downloads

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] problem for freshclam [ In reply to ]
cheers ged ,i heard you the first time
i was just signing off on dorian and making small talk which was in no way
directed at you thanks for all your help because of you i now know that
my clam is out of date and that my ram is somewhat defficent

kind regards colin

Re: [clamav-users] problem for freshclam [ In reply to ]
this is the packaged clamav i have success to install,

the clamav from github fail because it need rust finaly i don't success to install rust,

regards.

Dorian ROSSE.