$zypper install clamav
Resolving dependencies...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 27 NEW packages are going to be installed:
blog clamav dbus-1 gawk kbd kbd-legacy kmod libapparmor1 libargon2-1 libclamav7 libclammspack0 libcryptsetup12 libdbus-1-3 libdevmapper1_03 libexpat1 libjson-c3
libkmod2 libltdl7 libqrencode4 libseccomp2 pam-config pkg-config systemd systemd-presets-branding-SLE sysvinit-tools udev update-alternatives

Best regards,
Darwin
Re: [clamav-users] Question about clamAV dependencies [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew, thanks for the quick reply.

I am using it to scan any type of file that is uploaded to our server.

Regards,
Darwin

?On 09/12/20 18:53, "Andrew C Aitchison" <andrew@aitchison.me.uk> wrote:

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, Ttito Concha, Darwin via clamav-users wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> Currently I am using ClamAV in openSUSE. So to install it I run
> zypper install clamav, which ask to install 27 dependencies.
> I would like to know if all these dependencies are needed, since I
> tried to install clamAV only by installing two of these
> dependencies: libclammspack0, libclamav7; and it seems to work
> without problems. Do you know if it is safe to do this?
>
> I noticed that the two packages mentioned above are the minimum
> requirements of clamAV since without them the clamd process does not
> start.
>
> $zypper install clamav
> Resolving dependencies...
> Resolving package dependencies...
>
> The following 27 NEW packages are going to be installed:
> blog clamav dbus-1 gawk kbd kbd-legacy kmod libapparmor1
> libargon2-1 libclamav7 libclammspack0 libcryptsetup12 libdbus-1-3
> libdevmapper1_03 libexpat1 libjson-c3 libkmod2 libltdl7
> libqrencode4 libseccomp2 pam-config pkg-config systemd
> systemd-presets-branding-SLE sysvinit-tools udev
> update-alternatives

They look reasonable packages to have on a linux system
- I am surprised that you are running with so few of them already installed.

You will have problems with some features of clamav without some of
those packages. For example I suspect that on-access scanning will
fail without kmod.

What are you using clamav to do ?

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Question about clamAV dependencies [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, Ttito Concha, Darwin via clamav-users wrote:
> ?On 09/12/20 18:53, "Andrew C Aitchison" <andrew@aitchison.me.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, Ttito Concha, Darwin via clamav-users wrote:
>
> > ...openSUSE...zypper install clamav, which ask to install 27 dependencies.
> > I would like to know if all these dependencies are needed, since I
> > tried to install clamAV only by installing two of these
> > dependencies: libclammspack0, libclamav7; and it seems to work
> > without problems. Do you know if it is safe to do this?
> > The following 27 NEW packages are going to be installed:
> > ... clamav ... systemd ...
>
> They look reasonable packages to have on a linux system ...
> What are you using clamav to do ?
>
> I am using it to scan any type of file that is uploaded to our server.

If you can script the scans, rather than using on-access scanning, I
think you should be fine. If the ClamAV binaries run OK I don't think
there are any concerns about the safety of your system (at least that
were not already concerns before you installed them. :)

Mr. Aitchison and I differ at least in one respect about what might be
a reasonable package to install on a Linux system - if you don't have
systemd installed, then my feeling is that you've been very lucky. :)
It's a little odd that you don't have it on an OpenSUSE system though,
as I thought they started using it some years ago. Did you remove it?

Amongst (many) other things, with systemd the ways that things like
daemons are started at boot and are controlled at runtine are *very*
different from the (g)olden days. If you have many startup scripts it
may take some time to massage them after installing systemd. If you
use old filesystems - which take longer than about 90 seconds to check
at boot, for example a large ext3 filesystem using fsck - then you may
need to prevent systemd from trashing it after they reach their maximal
mount counts the next time the boot scripts run fsck (by killing the
"start job", which unfortunately systemd will NOT tell you is 'fsck').
There are quite a few other wrinkles too, like it will probably change
the names of all your network interfaces - and you may have to get on a
'plane to recover from that one.

Unfortunately you'll see the horrendous bloat more and more, and quite
a lot of packages are starting to include systemd in the dependencies
so for example if you have any Hewlett-Packard laser printers, one day
without warning they'll all suddenly stop working.

Don't ask me how I know all this. Rant over.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] Question about clamAV dependencies [ In reply to ]
Sorry, I forgot to mention that we run ClamAV in a container, so I think it makes sense that it doesn't have installed systemd as it is a single process.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Hi there,