Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] ClamAV 0.103.0 rc2
I seem to have missed the announcement of clamav-0.103.0-rc2. The
problems I reported earlier with clamav-0.103.0-rc seem to be resolved
now. All is well again.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV 0.103.0 rc2 [ In reply to ]
Citeren Arjen de Korte via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:

> I seem to have missed the announcement of clamav-0.103.0-rc2. The
> problems I reported earlier with clamav-0.103.0-rc seem to be
> resolved now. All is well again.

Correction: *almost* all is well again. Freshclam doesn't log anything
to syslog after startup anymore (updates for instance). So unless I
missed updating a setting, this is broken.

LogSyslog yes
LogFacility LOG_MAIL

This setting used to work as expected up to and including 0.102.4

Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV 0.103.0 rc2 [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020, Arjen de Korte via clamav-users wrote:
> Citeren Arjen de Korte via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:
>>
>> DefaultMemoryAccounting is enabled in openSUSE Tumbleweed. One observation
>> I still have, is that the memory usage of freshclam.service seems to
>> steadily increase after each update. Since this morning, it has increased
>> from 1.5 MB immediately after startup to 6.0 MB about 4 checks later. I'll
>> keep monitoring this to see if it levels off or keeps increasing.
>
> After downloading daily.cld, memory usage went up to 340.1 MB. It seems
> either systemd incorrectly reports the memory used, or memory is not free'd
> after use somewhere.

Normally I monitor memory usage on all my servers with Nagios, but
that only gives me the overall picture and on a busy server a small
memory leak could hide in the noise. After reading your post I set up
a cron job on my clamd server to wake up every ten minutes and log the
memory used by freshclam to a file. This is on Raspbian, but I don't
let systemd get involved in anything that I care about. The daemons
are started from /etc/rc.local.

I've seen no evidence of a memory leak at all. The 0.103.0-rc2 daemon
has been running for eight days continuously. It's currently using
(top, RSS) about 8.6 MBytes of RAM - and 6.9 MBytes of that is shared.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV 0.103.0 rc2 [ In reply to ]
Citeren "G.W. Haywood via clamav-users" <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:

> I've seen no evidence of a memory leak at all. The 0.103.0-rc2 daemon
> has been running for eight days continuously. It's currently using
> (top, RSS) about 8.6 MBytes of RAM - and 6.9 MBytes of that is shared.

I used

systemd-cgtop system.slice/freshclam.service

to monitor memory usage. I don't think it is a memory leak either,
after two days the memory consumption remained steady at about 350 MB.

Since then I have decided that running freshclam as a daemon is
probably not the best idea anyway and that running it through a timer
might work just as well, without any memory consumption between updates.