Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Proofpoint and Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain
Hi,

I keep having people complaining about False Positives due to
Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain because of Proofpoint.

I really didn't want to do this, but I added a few entries to the
local.wdb to whitelist it:

X:.+safelinks\.protection\.outlook\.com([/?].*)?:.*([/?].*)?:17-
X:.+urldefense\.proofpoint\.com([/?].*)?:.*([/?].*)?:17-

That seemed to work for a while, but people are getting hit by it again,
it seems like the URLs changed, they used to be:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u="

the newer ones prepend
https://urldefense.com/v3/__

but that regexp should match, unless I'm misreading it. Does someone
have a better solution that works for this?

thanks!

--
micah

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Proofpoint and Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain [ In reply to ]
micah anderson via clamav-users wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I keep having people complaining about False Positives due to
> Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain because of Proofpoint.
>
> I really didn't want to do this, but I added a few entries to the
> local.wdb to whitelist it:
>
> X:.+safelinks\.protection\.outlook\.com([/?].*)?:.*([/?].*)?:17-
> X:.+urldefense\.proofpoint\.com([/?].*)?:.*([/?].*)?:17-
>
> That seemed to work for a while, but people are getting hit by it again,
> it seems like the URLs changed, they used to be:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u="
>
> the newer ones prepend
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__
>
> but that regexp should match, unless I'm misreading it. Does someone
> have a better solution that works for this?

I only use Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain in a ClamAV instance
that doesn't blindly pass/fail a message based only on the ClamAV result.

For outbound mail, I handle this by calling ClamAV from MIMEDefang,
where I can do anything I like with the ClamAV result.

For inbound mail, I have a secondary clamd instance configured *without*
the stock signatures, but with this option and a selection of riskier
local and third-party signatures. This is called from SpamAssassin, and
I can score different specific signatures or signature groups differently.

-kgd