Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] ClamAV using high CPU and battery
I have been getting reports of ClamAV using high CPU during full scans.

Also I am getting a complaint from faculty that ClamAV is heavily using
resources and causing loss of battery life.

Are these normal functions of the application?

Thanks,
Douglas
Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV using high CPU and battery [ In reply to ]
Douglas Stinnette wrote:
> I have been getting reports of ClamAV using high CPU during full scans.

Well.... yes.... it's busy scanning the whole filesystem like it's been
told to do.

> Also I am getting a complaint from faculty that ClamAV is heavily using
> resources and causing loss of battery life.

If you're scanning a full system it's going to be busy for a while.
Even regular Windows desktop AV packages usually take at least 30-40
minutes for a full system scan.

> Are these normal functions of the application?

They're not really "functions of the application", they're operational
requirements for it to do what you've asked it to do.

They're normal for any program that does a lot of heavy processing and
filesystem access. On *nix systems you can reduce its impact on other
processing by renicing (setting its priority) lower, and if you're using
a Windows build you should be able to use Task Manager to set the
priority low.

Very few programs I've seen will actively manage their actual CPU usage
so that they only use eg 50% of one core - some of the distributed
computing projects are the only ones I can think of offhand. Otherwise
most programs run flat-out while they're running.

-kgd

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV using high CPU and battery [ In reply to ]
* Douglas Stinnette:

> I have been getting reports of ClamAV using high CPU during full scans.

High CPU and I/O load while to scanning full file system? You find that
surprising how, exactly, in a virus scanner? :-)

-Ralph