Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Freshclam errors after MacOS Catalina update
After updating to MacOS Catalina I get the following errors when running freshclaim:

ERROR: Can't open /private/var/log/freshclam.log in append mode (check permissions!).
ERROR: Problem with internal logger (UpdateLogFile = /private/var/log/freshclam.log).
ERROR: initialize: libfreshclam init failed.
ERROR: Initialization error!

But, there is no such file as: /private/var/log/freshclam.log

I’m running this from a shell script. Here’s the command I’m using:

/opt/local/bin/freshclam -v --stdout >>$log

Where log is just ~/Library/Logs/clam.log

How do I fix this?

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Freshclam errors after MacOS Catalina update [ In reply to ]
If your clamav instance is installed to /opt/local, then your freshclam.conf is probably in /opt/local/etc/freshclam.conf

Edit the freshclam.conf file and set the "UpdateLogFile" option to a filepath that your user is allowed to write to.

I haven't had this particular issue on my Catalina test machine or personal laptop, but I also haven't done very thorough tests to investigate if we need to change default options or add logic to request permissions in macOS Catalina. It's possible that we may need to make some adjustments as Apple continues to try to lockdown directory access in macOS.

Micah

Re: [clamav-users] Freshclam errors after MacOS Catalina update [ In reply to ]
Thank you.

I will just go ahead and put it in ~/Library/Logs