Mailing List Archive

Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV® blog: ClamAV is planning on publishing a new main.cvd
On 22.11.19 15:39, Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users wrote:
>https://blog.clamav.net/2019/11/clamav-is-planning-on-publishing-new.html
>
>ClamAV is planning on publishing a new main.cvd
>This serves as notice that we are planning on publishing a new main.cvd and
> a cdiff Monday, November 25, 2019.
>
>In the past we notified our mirror maintainers to let them know it was
> going to be a hit on their bandwidth, but now that we have a CDN, the
> effect should be minimal. However, we still wanted to give our end users
> a heads up just in case any questions come up around why ClamAV is taking
> a bit longer to reload that particular update.
>
>After that update restarts and reloads should happen much faster, and the
> daily downloads will again shrink.

Any idea of splitting databases into multiple files so small files and
deltas are downloaded every time?

WinError #99999: Out of error messages.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV? blog: ClamAV is planning on publishing a new main.cvd [ In reply to ]
ClamAV is planning on publishing a new main.cvd
This serves as notice that we are planning on publishing a new main.cvd and
a cdiff Monday, November 25, 2019.

In the past we notified our mirror maintainers to let them know it was
going to be a hit on their bandwidth, but now that we have a CDN, the
effect should be minimal. However, we still wanted to give our end users
a heads up just in case any questions come up around why ClamAV is taking
a bit longer to reload that particular update.

After that update restarts and reloads should happen much faster, and the
daily downloads will again shrink.

Any idea of splitting databases into multiple files so small files and
deltas are downloaded every time?

Deltas are downloaded now (cdiff's) as long as you using a version of ClamAV made in the last 5 years or so (oh, you'd be surprised who isn't)...

But we were just having a conversation about splitting CVDs into different types today internally for a different reason. So we'll see where that goes.

--
Joel Esler
Manager, Communities Division