Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Why does clamscan take so long searching?
I inadvertently miss-typed the commandline and I was surprised clamscan
executed for 48 seconds. How was clamscan spending its time?

# clamscan ==help

[2019-11-22 18:06:25]

==help: No such file or directory

WARNING: ==help: Can't access file

Re: [clamav-users] Why does clamscan take so long searching? [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019, Rick Graham via clamav-users wrote:

> I inadvertently miss-typed the commandline and I was surprised clamscan
> executed for 48 seconds. How was clamscan spending its time?
>
> # clamscan ==help

You really need to understand how ClamAV works in order to use it
sensibly and effectively. There's documentation at

http://www.clamav.net/documents

In your example clamscan was not "searching". It spent the 48 seconds

http://www.clamav.net/documents/scanning

If you'd done that on one of my systems it would have been more like
four minutes. :/

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Why does clamscan take so long searching? [ In reply to ]
Perhaps a useful feature would be an extra verbose option ("-vv") that
would print more clamscan status, like loading signatures.

Re: [clamav-users] Why does clamscan take so long searching? [ In reply to ]
* Rick Graham via clamav-users:

> Perhaps a useful feature would be an extra verbose option ("-vv") that
> would print more clamscan status, like loading signatures.

That would not save you from using 'clamscan' when you should be using
'clamdscan'. ;-)

-Ralph

Re: [clamav-users] Why does clamscan take so long searching? [ In reply to ]
Each to his/her own use case. ;-)

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:14 PM Ralph Seichter via clamav-users <

Re: [clamav-users] Why does clamscan take so long searching? [ In reply to ]
Correct, but we have no idea what yours is, so can't really suggest anything.

-Al-

Re: [clamav-users] Why does clamscan take so long searching? [ In reply to ]
unluckly clamdscan does not honor --config-file= and I cannot exclude Unofficial signatures which are good
only for spam .

Re: [clamav-users] Why does clamscan take so long searching? [ In reply to ]
>> can't really suggest anything.

That's why I made the suggestion.

Re: [clamav-users] Why does clamscan take so long searching? [ In reply to ]
* Grscripts via clamav-users:

> unluckly clamdscan does not honor --config-file=

Since clamdscan leaves scanning to the server (which is properly
configured), I have never tried to use "clamdscan --config-file=...",
but according to the man-page, the option should be supported.

-Ralph

Re: [clamav-users] Why does clamscan take so long searching? [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019, Ralph Seichter via clamav-users wrote:

> * Grscripts via clamav-users:
>
>> unluckly clamdscan does not honor --config-file=
>
> Since clamdscan leaves scanning to the server (which is properly
> configured), I have never tried to use "clamdscan --config-file=...",
> but according to the man-page, the option should be supported.

I use it daily, version 0.102.x

--

73,
Ged.