Alas, I get a bit tired: every time we make an update, all the service
files are overwritten with the files the clamav team thinks it's the
best. So, every time I have to copy my proper/working/correct files over
the unwanted updates. Rather annoying.

Please, build-in a check to avoid overwriting.

--- Frans.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] clamav-0.102.x annoying behavior [ In reply to ]
Citeren Frans de Boer <frans@fransdb.nl>:

> LS,
>
> Alas, I get a bit tired: every time we make an update, all the
> service files are overwritten with the files the clamav team thinks
> it's the best. So, every time I have to copy my
> proper/working/correct files over the unwanted updates. Rather
> annoying.
>
> Please, build-in a check to avoid overwriting.

System files are *supposed* to be overwritten with every update. If
you need to make changes, use

systemctl edit <foo>.service

This will create /etc/systemd/system/foo.service.d/override.conf file,
where you can make the necessary changes. You should *never* touch the
files in /usr/lib/systemd. See 'man 5 systemd-system.conf' for an
explanation where to make local modifications.

Re: [clamav-users] clamav-0.102.x annoying behavior [ In reply to ]
On 21-11-2019 21:49, Arjen de Korte via clamav-users wrote:
> Citeren Frans de Boer <frans@fransdb.nl>:
>
>> LS,
>>
>> Alas, I get a bit tired: every time we make an update, all the
>> service files are overwritten with the files the clamav team thinks
>> it's the best. So, every time I have to copy my
>> proper/working/correct files over the unwanted updates. Rather annoying.
>>
>> Please, build-in a check to avoid overwriting.
>
> System files are *supposed* to be overwritten with every update. If
> you need to make changes, use
>
>     systemctl edit <foo>.service
>
> This will create /etc/systemd/system/foo.service.d/override.conf file,
> where you can make the necessary changes. You should *never* touch the
> files in /usr/lib/systemd. See 'man 5 systemd-system.conf' for an
> explanation where to make local modifications.
>
>> --- Frans.

> http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml

Great, so if I am provided with service files that do not properly work
- like the clamav case - I need to overwrite them every time, or follow
your pointer - of which I was not aware. Luckily I always keep a backup
of the changed service files, learned my lessons early from former
projects who thought they knew what service file is good for me.

Re: [clamav-users] clamav-0.102.x annoying behavior [ In reply to ]
Citeren Frans de Boer <frans@fransdb.nl>:

> On 21-11-2019 21:49, Arjen de Korte via clamav-users wrote:
>> Citeren Frans de Boer <frans@fransdb.nl>:
>>
>>> LS,
>>>
>>> Alas, I get a bit tired: every time we make an update, all the
>>> service files are overwritten with the files the clamav team
>>> thinks it's the best. So, every time I have to copy my
>>> proper/working/correct files over the unwanted updates. Rather
>>> annoying.
>>>
>>> Please, build-in a check to avoid overwriting.
>>
>> System files are *supposed* to be overwritten with every update. If
>> you need to make changes, use
>>
>>     systemctl edit <foo>.service
>>
>> This will create /etc/systemd/system/foo.service.d/override.conf
>> file, where you can make the necessary changes. You should *never*
>> touch the files in /usr/lib/systemd. See 'man 5
>> systemd-system.conf' for an explanation where to make local
>> modifications.
>>
>>> --- Frans.

>>> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide:
>>> https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq
>>>
>>> http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml

> Great, so if I am provided with service files that do not properly
> work - like the clamav case - I need to overwrite them every time,
> or follow your pointer - of which I was not aware. Luckily I always
> keep a backup of the changed service files, learned my lessons early
> from former projects who thought they knew what service file is good
> for me.

This should be the case for *all* projects, it is by design in systemd
(not the packages that use it). It is intentional that the service
files are overwritten on updates. This allows for adding/changing
functionality in updates, while still allowing users to deviate from
the default settings.

Re: [clamav-users] clamav-0.102.x annoying behavior [ In reply to ]

On 21.11.19 22:06, Frans de Boer wrote:
>Great, so if I am provided with service files that do not properly
>work - like the clamav case - I need to overwrite them every time, or
>follow your pointer - of which I was not aware. Luckily I always keep
>a backup of the changed service files, learned my lessons early from
>former projects who thought they knew what service file is good for
>me.

No, if you create local override in /etc/systemd/, it should stay there unchanged.
What is supposed to be overwritten at each upgrade is the /lib/systemd file.

Note that if you create manual overwrites, you should take care of them,
because changes in provide.

Only if anything overwrites files in /etc/systemd/, there may be an error in
clamav distribution or package distribution.

Debian for example takes care about config files in /etc and provides manual
and automatic ways to update them at package upgrade.

I am not sure whether it applies for systemd files, I guess not.

It's now safe to throw off your computer.