Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] SelfCheck: Database modification detected. Forcing reload.
Hello clamd mailing list,

I recently installed clamav version 0.101.4-1.fc30 on Fedora 30.
A new situation I have never seen has started.
Every day around 5am clamd causes a problem.
I traced it to this in logs:

SelfCheck: Database modification detected. Forcing reload.

I have a daily cron job that runs around 3am that:
- shuts down clamd
- runs freshclam
- starts clamd

I see several of these log entries after the above daily cron between
3am and 5am:
SelfCheck: Database status OK.

So, since the Database is OK 99.9% of the time, why is it suddenly not
OK at 5am?
There are no cron jobs scheduled for 5am.

Thanks in advance

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] SelfCheck: Database modification detected. Forcing reload. [ In reply to ]
I have more information.
Turns out there is a cron job I was unaware of.
freshclam-sleep is running every 3 hours.
Apparently, freshclam-sleep does something that freshclam doesn't and
causes a database update.
Do I need to run freshclam and freshclam-sleep?
Can I turn off the freshclam-sleep cron job or should I use
freshclam-sleep instead of freshclam in my daily 3am maintenance script?

Re: [clamav-users] SelfCheck: Database modification detected. Forcing reload. [ In reply to ]
freshclam-sleep is Fedora's method of automatically updating the
signatures. If you want to update it your way, feel free to disable it.

BTW - you don't need to shutdown clamd to update the signatures.

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems 720-772-5637
Re: [clamav-users] [ext] SelfCheck: Database modification detected. Forcing reload. [ In reply to ]
* Cliff Hayes via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:

> I have a daily cron job that runs around 3am that:
> - shuts down clamd
> - runs freshclam
> - starts clamd

Why?

freshclam usually runs all the time, updating and signalling clamd on
demand.

But you do have a point...

Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

Campus Benjamin Franklin (CBF)
Haus I | 1. OG | Raum 105
Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin

Tel. +49 30 450 570 155
ralf.hildebrandt@charite.de
https://www.charite.de

Re: [clamav-users] SelfCheck: Database modification detected. Forcing reload. [ In reply to ]
On 13.11.19 21:58, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>freshclam-sleep is Fedora's method of automatically updating the
>signatures. If you want to update it your way, feel free to disable
>it.

even something other than standard freshclam daemon does?
Or is it just for case freshclam does not run?

>BTW - you don't need to shutdown clamd to update the signatures.

correct. In fact, developing the same task for something already
implemented may cause problems like this one.

>On 11/13/19 7:17 PM, Cliff Hayes via clamav-users wrote:
>>I have more information.
>>Turns out there is a cron job I was unaware of.
>>freshclam-sleep is running every 3 hours.
>>Apparently, freshclam-sleep does something that freshclam doesn't
>>and causes a database update.
>>Do I need to run freshclam and freshclam-sleep?
>>Can I turn off the freshclam-sleep cron job or should I use
>>freshclam-sleep instead of freshclam in my daily 3am maintenance
>>script?

>>On 11/13/2019 7:24 PM, Cliff Hayes via clamav-users wrote:
>>>I recently installed clamav version 0.101.4-1.fc30 on Fedora 30.
>>>A new situation I have never seen has started.
>>>Every day around 5am clamd causes a problem.
>>>I traced it to this in logs:
>>>
>>>SelfCheck: Database modification detected. Forcing reload.
>>>
>>>I have a daily cron job that runs around 3am that:
>>>- shuts down clamd
>>>- runs freshclam
>>>- starts clamd
>>>
>>>I see several of these log entries after the above daily cron
>>>between 3am and 5am:
>>>SelfCheck: Database status OK.
>>>
>>>So, since the Database is OK 99.9% of the time, why is it suddenly
>>>not OK at 5am?
>>>There are no cron jobs scheduled for 5am.

Silvester Stallone: Father of the RISC concept.