Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Administrivia.
Hi there,

Many people use aliases for mailing list correspondence, so that the
bots which scrape list archives for email addresses and then send spam
to those addresses get the aliases and not the real addresses. It's a
simple matter to permit mail to the aliases from only the list servers,
and that's what I've done for a couple of decades for many lists.

It seems that if someone replies to a message which I've sent to the
ClamAV list using 'reply to originator' with 'cc to list' (or whatever
the mail client calls those things), then when the ClamAV list server
processes the message, it doesn't send the message to me. It's kinda
unhelpful, as I'll then see no reply unless I happen to see the REJECT
message in the logs, or maybe look at the list archives.

Is this really what's happening, and if so, is it by design?

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Administrivia. [ In reply to ]
Citeren "G.W. Haywood via clamav-users" <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:

> Hi there,
>
> Many people use aliases for mailing list correspondence, so that the
> bots which scrape list archives for email addresses and then send spam
> to those addresses get the aliases and not the real addresses. It's a
> simple matter to permit mail to the aliases from only the list servers,
> and that's what I've done for a couple of decades for many lists.
>
> It seems that if someone replies to a message which I've sent to the
> ClamAV list using 'reply to originator' with 'cc to list' (or whatever
> the mail client calls those things), then when the ClamAV list server
> processes the message, it doesn't send the message to me. It's kinda
> unhelpful, as I'll then see no reply unless I happen to see the REJECT
> message in the logs, or maybe look at the list archives.
>
> Is this really what's happening, and if so, is it by design?

It is the default setting in mailman:

---8<---
Avoid duplicate copies of messages?

When you are listed explicitly in the To: or Cc: headers of a list
message, you can opt to not receive another copy from the mailing
list. Select Yes to avoid receiving copies from the mailing list;
select No to receive copies.

If the list has member personalized messages enabled, and you elect to
receive copies, every copy will have a X-Mailman-Copy: yes header
added to it.
--->8---

It defaults to 'Yes', so when mailman sees that your subscription
address to the mailinglist is also in the 'to' or 'cc' field, it will
not send a copy from the mailinglist.

In your setup, any duplicates will already be rejected by your
mailserver, so you should set this to 'No' in
https://lists.clamav.net/mailman/options/clamav-users.

Re: [clamav-users] Administrivia. [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019, Arjen de Korte via clamav-users wrote:

> Citeren "G.W. Haywood via clamav-users" <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:
>
>> It seems that if someone replies to a message which I've sent to the
>> ClamAV list using 'reply to originator' with 'cc to list' (or whatever
>> the mail client calls those things), then when the ClamAV list server
>> processes the message, it doesn't send the message to me. ...
>
> It is the default setting in mailman:
> https://lists.clamav.net/mailman/options/clamav-users.

Ah, right - thanks.

--