Mailing List Archive

Re: [clamav-users] [Clamav-devel] ClamAV(R) blog: ClamAV 0.102.0 Release Candidate is now available
Franky,

I'm not sure exactly what feature is the requirement from the version
of Curl that's required, the blog only says, "...communication between
clamonacc and clamd." So you might have to go browsing through the
clamav source to see exactly what it's doing with Curl. There is
always the slim possibility that RHEL back ported whatever features is
required for this into the curl version that is running on RHEL 7. If
not, you can always make a request for it to be back ported in the
rhel bugzilla (once you find out what it is exactly). Though you would
have to be specific in the feature, you can't simply say "You need to
make curl work with clamav with these options"... They will likely
ignore or close the ticket.

Alternatively, the Curl website *does* have newer RPMs available for
download for various distributions...

Caveat Emptor...
https://curl.haxx.se/dlwiz/?type=bin&os=Linux&flav=Redhat&ver=RHEL7

Or, as mentioned, simply do not use on-access scanning...

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] [Clamav-devel] ClamAV(R) blog: ClamAV 0.102.0 Release Candidate is now available [ In reply to ]
> While I applaud the re-use of existing components, requiring this
> (minimum) version of libcurl will be a problem for redhat/centOS 7
> users: everybody is still on RHEL7 (RHEL8 is "just" released and still
> lacks support from many vendors).
> In RHEL/Centos, clamav is only packaged in EPEL, and EPEL packages
> will never include packages that the base OS also provides (in this
> case libcurl + libssh2 as a dependancy). This would mean that 0.102
> will never be available in RHEL7 (that is here until 2024).
> So, maybe a solution could be to include libcurl in the clam distro
> itself and build/use a static lib version of that (and not a shared
> .so) in case the OS-version of libcurl is not sufficient? If not, EPEL
> will never create an rpm for clamav 0.102, and that would leave a lot
> of existing users "in the cold" and force them into using an "old"
> version.

Franky,

As has been stated numerous times, the minimum requirement for curl is
ONLY to build with the OPTIONAL argument for on-access scanning.

The ClamAV team is not responsible for 3rd party packages, if you want
a static libcurl built you would need to contact the PACKAGE
MAINTAINER. Which for RHEL appears to be a couple people.

Look at the changelog:
https://centos.pkgs.org/7/epel-x86_64/clamav-0.101.4-1.el7.x86_64.rpm.html

Sure, it can be done.... for RHEL 6 they built a static version of
zlib in the ClamAV package due to a bug with the OS version. But it is
up to YOU to tell THEM... i.e. on Redhat's Bugzilla... Alternatively
now that you know exactly what feature is being used, instead of
building a full static version with clamav, you could request that
feature be backported into the existing curl package (as a different
route to achieve the same end-goal)...

Additionally, you *can* install the latest Curl from a 3rd party repo:

https://mirror.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/sysutils/Mirroring/

And if you want to add the repo to yum:

http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/yum-repo/

Ironic you are complaining about not getting a new version, when
almost all packages in a RHEL distro are frozen versions (ex: curl)
and merely receive backported bug fixes and features...

It's not hard to update curl, I already did it on my EL6 system. I
haven't updated ClamAV yet, I'm waiting for the stable release.

Re: [clamav-users] [Clamav-devel] ClamAV(R) blog: ClamAV 0.102.0 Release Candidate is now available [ In reply to ]
Op Maandag, 30-09-2019 om 15:14 schreef J.R. via clamav-users:
> > While I applaud the re-use of existing components, requiring this
> > (minimum) version of libcurl will be a problem for redhat/centOS 7
> > users: everybody is still on RHEL7 (RHEL8 is "just" released and still
> > lacks support from many vendors).
> > In RHEL/Centos, clamav is only packaged in EPEL, and EPEL packages
> > will never include packages that the base OS also provides (in this
> > case libcurl + libssh2 as a dependancy). This would mean that 0.102
> > will never be available in RHEL7 (that is here until 2024).
> > So, maybe a solution could be to include libcurl in the clam distro
> > itself and build/use a static lib version of that (and not a shared
> > .so) in case the OS-version of libcurl is not sufficient? If not, EPEL
> > will never create an rpm for clamav 0.102, and that would leave a lot
> > of existing users "in the cold" and force them into using an "old"
> > version.
>
> Franky,
>
> As has been stated numerous times, the minimum requirement for curl is
> ONLY to build with the OPTIONAL argument for on-access scanning.
>
> The ClamAV team is not responsible for 3rd party packages, if you want
> a static libcurl built you would need to contact the PACKAGE
> MAINTAINER. Which for RHEL appears to be a couple people.
>
> Look at the changelog:
> https://centos.pkgs.org/7/epel-x86_64/clamav-0.101.4-1.el7.x86_64.rpm.html
>
> Sure, it can be done.... for RHEL 6 they built a static version of
> zlib in the ClamAV package due to a bug with the OS version. But it is
> up to YOU to tell THEM... i.e. on Redhat's Bugzilla... Alternatively
> now that you know exactly what feature is being used, instead of
> building a full static version with clamav, you could request that
> feature be backported into the existing curl package (as a different
> route to achieve the same end-goal)...
>
> Additionally, you *can* install the latest Curl from a 3rd party repo:
>
> https://mirror.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/sysutils/Mirroring/
>
> And if you want to add the repo to yum:
>
> http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/yum-repo/
>
> Ironic you are complaining about not getting a new version, when
> almost all packages in a RHEL distro are frozen versions (ex: curl)
> and merely receive backported bug fixes and features...
>
> It's not hard to update curl, I already did it on my EL6 system. I
> haven't updated ClamAV yet, I'm waiting for the stable release.

I think you misunderstand me, I'm merely stating a fact here. Epel won't do anything about libcurl, and redhat won't just backport new features "because of". Even so, backport requests take a long time at redhat. Maybe the epel guys will include a static version of libcurl for clamav, I hope so.
I do know that this requirement is for clamonacc, that's just the feature I'm interested in.
Of course I know how to replace libcurl (I already did it and built clamav myself), but clamav packages would need to be done/provided/maintained by a recommended third-party (like epel) for the company I'm currently working at (maintaining own rpms is fine and I could even do it myself if clamav would provide/maintain a spec-file).

An extra thing is that the blog article states "This is only relevant if you are installing from source", so I hope that all this is just a non-issue (I'll need to rebuild myself later today again to verify).

Franky

F.

Re: [clamav-users] [Clamav-devel] ClamAV(R) blog: ClamAV 0.102.0 Release Candidate is now available [ In reply to ]
Op Maandag, 30-09-2019 om 15:27 schreef Franky Van Liedekerke via clamav-users:
> [...]
> I do know that this requirement is for clamonacc, that's just the feature I'm interested in.
> Of course I know how to replace libcurl (I already did it and built clamav myself), but clamav packages would need to be done/provided/maintained by a recommended third-party (like epel) for the company I'm currently working at (maintaining own rpms is fine and I could even do it myself if clamav would provide/maintain a spec-file).
>
> An extra thing is that the blog article states "This is only relevant if you are installing from source", so I hope that all this is just a non-issue (I'll need to rebuild myself later today again to verify).

To continue this: it is not only relevant if installing from source, the clamonacc binary currently indeed needs the newer libcurl library (so just copying the resulting clam binaries to another server would not be sufficient).

Franky

Re: [clamav-users] [Clamav-devel] ClamAV(R) blog: ClamAV 0.102.0 Release Candidate is now available [ In reply to ]
> I think you misunderstand me, I'm merely stating a fact here.
> Epel won't do anything about libcurl, and redhat won't just backport new
> features "because of". Even so, backport requests take a long time at redhat.
> Maybe the epel guys will include a static version of libcurl for clamav, I hope so.
> I do know that this requirement is for clamonacc, that's just the feature I'm interested in.
> Of course I know how to replace libcurl (I already did it and built clamav myself),
> but clamav packages would need to be done/provided/maintained by a recommended
> third-party (like epel) for the company I'm currently working at (maintaining own
> rpms is fine and I could even do it myself if clamav would provide/maintain a spec-file).

Well, then I guess we could all just sit around waiting another 10
years for an eventual Redhat release that uses a semi-modern version
of libcurl... *rolleyes*

It's a double-edge sword... You can use legacy code for so long, but
then as the OS become more modern, backwards compatibility is only
maintained for so long. Or you can use more modern code, and leave
behind the legacy systems (or at least the systems that choose to use
legacy libraries)... Chicken & the egg... one has to come first before
the other will follow... Sorry you don't get the latest & greatest
features, but that's the trade-off on Enterprise vs Fedora.

As mentioned before, take a look at the EL 6 ClamAV source RPM... It
has zlib building and compiled in statically... You can use that as a
TEMPLATE and build curl statically too, and specify that source when
it builds clamav for your EL 7 system ... Not rocket science...

ClamAV releases are not *that* often... Simply being on the mailing
list is enough to get the announcements when they are released. Often
building a new version is simply replacing the source tar.gz and
firing off rpmbuild...

ClamAV isn't responsible for maintaining spec files, those are
DISTRO-SPECIFIC... Imagine if they were supposed to maintain packages
for every distro out there... That would basically bring development
to a grinding halt...

Grab the last ClamAV .src.rpm for your OS... replace the source
.tar.gz with the version you want, update version number, check if any
.patch files are still relevant or not, and give it the good old
'rpmbuild -ba --clean clamav.spec' and cross your fingers you get a
successful build... It might take a few tries if there are any new
files that have to be added to the files list. That's the great thing
about OPEN SOURCE... If you don't like how someone else is doing
something, you can take that source and modify and build it however it
suits YOU....

Depending on how many machines you have, this could be an excuse at
work to start your own local REPO for custom packages tailored to your
BUSINESS NEEDS...

> To continue this: it is not only relevant if installing from source, the clamonacc
> binary currently indeed needs the newer libcurl library (so just copying the
> resulting clam binaries to another server would not be sufficient).

Because RHEL (and many other distros) use dynamic libraries... That's
why I said above you could build your own version of curl in with
clamav, leaving the system's version intact...

Sorry if I sound grouchy... Still drinking my coffee this morning...

Re: [clamav-users] [Clamav-devel] ClamAV(R) blog: ClamAV 0.102.0 Release Candidate is now available [ In reply to ]