Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] IDSESSION debugging
Hi all,

I was hoping someone might have some advice on debugging an IDSESSION command when streaming content to the clamav daemon. I'm trying to understand why small files (<=1 mb) are being processed appropriately but when I scale the file up to 2 mb or so, it just spins until it times out. There's nothing in the logs, and when I check clamdTOP it doesn't look like anything's actually made it to the daemon. Is there a better place to look for debugging information?

Thanks!
Re: [clamav-users] IDSESSION debugging [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019, Wreschnig, Alexander Scott via clamav-users wrote:

> I was hoping someone might have some advice on debugging an
> IDSESSION command when streaming content to the clamav daemon. I'm
> trying to understand why small files (<=1 mb) are being processed
> appropriately but when I scale the file up to 2 mb or so, it just
> spins until it times out. There's nothing in the logs, and when I
> check clamdTOP it doesn't look like anything's actually made it to
> the daemon. Is there a better place to look for debugging
> information?

I've never used IDSESSION, as (from reading the documentation) the API
seems to be a little bit fussy. Using INSTREAM, and sending the data
in 65k chunks over TCP, I've never seen clamd behave as you describe.
I haven't experimented with larger chunks.

Which version of ClamAV are you using? Packaged or built from source?

How are you sending the data?

Have you set the 'Debug' and 'LogVerbose' options in clamd.conf?

Perhaps you could post your clamd.conf for us to see.

--

73,
Ged.