Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Clamav with a samba server ?
Hello,

I would like to get advice or feedback about the use of clamav on a
samba share server.

I have a fresh install of samba on a centos 7 (share server), and I
would like to know if it makes sense to install clamav on this centos 7
box ?

Because all workstations on which domain users mount the samba share
have already an antivirus program.

What is the best practice ?

Best Regards,

EdG

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Clamav with a samba server ? [ In reply to ]
> I would like to get advice or feedback about the use of clamav on a
> samba share server.
>
> I have a fresh install of samba on a centos 7 (share server), and I
> would like to know if it makes sense to install clamav on this centos 7
> box ?
>
> Because all workstations on which domain users mount the samba share
> have already an antivirus program.
>
> What is the best practice ?

Are you pushing antivirus updates out to all the workstations to make
sure they are always up to date?

You could enable 'on access' scanning on the CentOS box, however the
amount of load it would create would be dependent on the usage level I
suppose.

Having an extra layer of scanning IMO is always good. Different
anti-virus programs seem to catch different things just because of the
sheer volume of new viruses and such that come out every day.

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav with a samba server ? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, all workstations have antivirus updates, this is a commercial
antivirus.

What do you mean by "You could enable 'on access' scanning on the CentOS
box" ?
Is there a special to start clamav with mode 'on access' ?

What is this 'on acess' mode ?

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav with a samba server ? [ In reply to ]
> What do you mean by "You could enable 'on access' scanning
> on the CentOS box" ?
> Is there a special to start clamav with mode 'on access' ?
>
> What is this 'on acess' mode ?

https://www.clamav.net/documents/on-access-scanning

https://www.clamav.net/documents/scanning#on-access-scanning

https://blog.clamav.net/2016/03/configuring-on-access-scanning-in-clamav.html

Hope that helps...

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav with a samba server ? [ In reply to ]
All,

On a related topic: the next version of ClamAV (v0.102) will include a new on-access scanning client that is a separate program from clamd. The way in which on-access scanning is configured will change a little as a result. The separate scanning client will be more stable and will improve the security posture somewhat because clamd will not have to be run as root.

Look forward to the beta for 0.102 to be published in the coming weeks.

Regards,
Micah

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav with a samba server ? [ In reply to ]
Hello again,

I read the docs from the links, but may you please help me to understand
what 'on access' scanning will do / can do ?

I installed clamav on my centos 7 box, but not yet start the clamav service.

I have set in /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf
ScanOnAccess yes
OnAccessIncludePath /home/usertest

When I will start the clamav servce :

Does clamav will scan only /home/usertest ?

What will happen if clamav detect virus or malware already present in
/home/usertest ?
Will it quarantine the infected files ?

What will happen if the user try to copy an infected files in his
/home/usertest (via samba) ?
Will it be impossible for him to copy the infected files ?

I would like to reassure before start the clamav service, and avoid any
users complaints against me.

Best Regards,

EdG

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav with a samba server ? [ In reply to ]
Hi Edouard,

If you are unsure how it works then it is best to try it out on a stand
alone set-up that is not in use by other users.

Set up a clean system with samba and clamav and use you own host to
connect to it so that no other users are involved. You can then try
various things without risk of upsetting other users.

It is never a good thing to install new software that you are not
familiar with on a live system without first trying it out on a test
system.

Regards
Mark Fortescue

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav with a samba server ? [ In reply to ]
EdG,

I will try to respond to your questions inline, below...