Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ?
Hi Guys,

Does anyone knows if the usage of the clamav for linux is free for
educational institutions or does it have to be a paid one.

I tried to find it on internet but couldn't find it.

Tim,
Re: [clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ? [ In reply to ]
It’s free for everyone regardless.

Sent from my ? iPhone

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ? [ In reply to ]
At the bottom of the page on the website it says:

All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under
the Creative Commons Attribution - NoDerivs License.

With a link to: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.5/

Which says:

You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format for
any purpose, even commercially.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ? [ In reply to ]
That’s the content on the website. ClamAV, the software, is governed by the GPLv2 and other associates licenses as indicated by the LICENSE file contained therein.

Sent from my ? iPhone

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ? [ In reply to ]
I just doubled checked, but I don't see a LICENSE file in the
clamav-0.101.2.tar.gz archive???

EDIT - There is the GPLv2 contained in the COPYING file. I just
realized each of those files gives the licence for each part of
ClamAV. Probably the most notable is the unrar licence, which if I
recall RHEL/CentOS disables due to licence conflicts?

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ? [ In reply to ]
The unrar stuff is still free to use.

Due to modification restrictions Debian splits it off into the unofficial non-free repository.

Scott K

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ? [ In reply to ]
Correct. Which is why we recommend people compile from source for full functionality.

Sent from my ? iPhone

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ? [ In reply to ]
On a Debian system with non-free enabled, it only takes "apt install libclamunrar9" to get the full unrar capability. It's still a better solution for Debian users to use the packaged version.

There are a few exceptions (for example, getting 0.101 and libclamav9 transitioned into our stable release is taking some time, due to reverse depends and patching needed for the changed API, so if one really needs that now, then by all means build from source), but generally Debian users are better served by the O/S integration provided through the packaging system.

We have an exception to the usual rule about no new versions of packages in stable releases for clamav, so the usual reason, not wanting to be stuck with an old version of the package doesn't generally apply.

I don't want to get into an extended argument about which is better, but I think Debian does a pretty good job as a clamav distributor.

Scott K

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ? [ In reply to ]
Sorry if I implied otherwise. I meant Fedora and their difficulties with unrar. I am a big supporter of your Scott, this you know.

Sent from my ? iPad

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ? [ In reply to ]
On 06.04.19 00:21, Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users wrote:
>Correct. Which is why we recommend people compile from source for full functionality.

and which functionality is missing in binary form?

>> On Apr 5, 2019, at 20:12, Scott Kitterman via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:
>> The unrar stuff is still free to use.
>>
>> Due to modification restrictions Debian splits it off into the unofficial non-free repository.

the clamunrar interface prevents from certain usage, why it's not considered
completely free under debian free software guidelines.
However it's fully installable and functional

(unless Joel knows something I don't)

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, April 06, 2019 04:51:16 PM Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> >> On Apr 5, 2019, at 20:12, Scott Kitterman via clamav-users
> >> <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote: The unrar stuff is still free to
> >> use.
> >>
> >> Due to modification restrictions Debian splits it off into the unofficial
> >> non-free repository.
> the clamunrar interface prevents from certain usage, why it's not considered
> completely free under debian free software guidelines.
> However it's fully installable and functional
>
> (unless Joel knows something I don't)

That's correct.

Scott K

Re: [clamav-users] Clamav for educational institutions ? [ In reply to ]
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your help, so I think as long as it is GPL I will be safe
by installing it on educational institutions for what I am reading from you
guys.

Thanks again

Tim

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019, 2:47 PM Scott Kitterman via clamav-users <