Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] rpm files question [was: ClamAV 0.101.2 announcement?]
Hello,

I use EPEL RPM files to upgrade Clamav on my Linux systems.

When urgent vulnerability fixes are released is it advisable to wait for
stable rpm? I don't know if it is safe to apply testing rpm.

Usually EPEL stable rpms are released after weeks of delay from new
Clamav versions.

Do you have any hints about use of clamav rpm distributions?

Many thanks
Warm Regards
Marco

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] rpm files question [was: ClamAV 0.101.2 announcement?] [ In reply to ]
This won't help you right now, but our team has been discussing publishing ClamAV on Linux using Snapcraft at the time of each release. Snapcraft sounds like it may be a good option to make ClamAV accessible faster.
Would you, and others here, be interested in installing a ClamAV snap in the future?

Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Re: [clamav-users] rpm files question [was: ClamAV 0.101.2 announcement?] [ In reply to ]
> I use EPEL RPM files to upgrade Clamav on my Linux systems.
>
> When urgent vulnerability fixes are released is it advisable to wait for
> stable rpm? I don't know if it is safe to apply testing rpm.
>
> Usually EPEL stable rpms are released after weeks of delay from new
> Clamav versions.
>
> Do you have any hints about use of clamav rpm distributions?

I guess the right answer is "it depends on your situation"...

If you are wanting to update just because there's some security
patches, it's probably not going to hurt to wait.

If you are wanting to update because of some new feature and can't /
don't want to wait, then obviously you would have to build your own.
Alternatively there are 3rd party Repositories that usually update
certain packages much faster than the main channels. https://pkgs.org
is a nice searchable source, but it does not cover all 3rd party
repos.

I have built my own RPMs for ClamAV before. It's pretty quick and
easy, usually just updating the source file, a couple lines in the
.spec, sometimes the signature updates, all the other files rarely
require any editing. If you have never built RPMs it can be a little
bit of a learning curve and require installing a handful of packages,
but it's not too terribly difficult, there are lots of guides out
there if you search. I always build / test new RPMs on a dedicated
little VM before rolling it out to my production server.

Re: [clamav-users] rpm files question [was: ClamAV 0.101.2 announcement?] [ In reply to ]
* Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:

> This won't help you right now, but our team has been discussing
> publishing ClamAV on Linux using Snapcraft at the time of each
> release. Snapcraft sounds like it may be a good option to make ClamAV
> accessible faster.
>
> Would you, and others here, be interested in installing a ClamAV
> snap in the future?

That definitely sounds interesting!

--
Ralf Hildebrandt Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin
ralf.hildebrandt@charite.de Campus Benjamin Franklin

Re: [clamav-users] rpm files question [was: ClamAV 0.101.2 announcement?] [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Micah Snyder wrote:

> This won't help you right now, but our team has been discussing
> publishing ClamAV on Linux using Snapcraft at the time of each
> release. Snapcraft sounds like it may be a good option to make
> ClamAV accessible faster. Would you, and others here, be interested
> in installing a ClamAV snap in the future?

Not if it wants me to install systemd...

laptop3:~# >>> cat /etc/debian_version
9.8
laptop3:~# >>> apt-get install snapd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

snapd : Depends: systemd

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] rpm files question [was: ClamAV 0.101.2 announcement?] [ In reply to ]
On Friday, March 29, 2019 06:01:25 PM G.W. Haywood via clamav-users wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Micah Snyder wrote:
> > This won't help you right now, but our team has been discussing
> > publishing ClamAV on Linux using Snapcraft at the time of each
> > release. Snapcraft sounds like it may be a good option to make
> > ClamAV accessible faster. Would you, and others here, be interested
> > in installing a ClamAV snap in the future?
>
> Not if it wants me to install systemd...
>
> laptop3:~# >>> cat /etc/debian_version
> 9.8
> laptop3:~# >>> apt-get install snapd
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

> snapd : Depends: systemd

For Debian we'll continue to provide clamav updates through the normal update
process. Packaging the security update is on my list for today.

Personally, I think Flatpack is a better solution for such things, but we
strive to support these kinds of things for our users within the distro, so
they don't have to worry about it.

Scott K

Re: [clamav-users] rpm files question [was: ClamAV 0.101.2 announcement?] [ In reply to ]
If you want the version to appear in EL7 stable, go to
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/clamav/ and add karma.

Franky

Re: [clamav-users] rpm files question [was: ClamAV 0.101.2 announcement?] [ In reply to ]
On 29/03/2019 13:54, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users :

> This won't help you right now, but our team has been discussing
> publishing ClamAV on Linux using Snapcraft at the time of each release.
> Snapcraft sounds like it may be a good option to make ClamAV accessible faster.
> Would you, and others here, be interested in installing a ClamAV snap in the future?

Yes. I never used it before, but if I well understood how it works I
think it could be useful!
+1
Thanks

Marco