0.100.1 engine is viewed as outdated in an audit as 0.101.1 addresses this
vulnerability

Sun

Re: [clamav-users] Any way to auto-update Clam engine (freshclam or any other tools) [ In reply to ]
No!

You must do a complete installation of the new ClamAV package to update the engine. Freshclam only updates signatures.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Any way to auto-update Clam engine (freshclam or any other tools) [ In reply to ]
So we have to either use an automated script to check if there's a new
engine & use the script to automatically deinstall & install OR
have to do it manually.

Anyone has such a script to share??

Re: [clamav-users] Any way to auto-update Clam engine (freshclam or any other tools) [ In reply to ]
Now that you are subscribed to this list you will get an announcement whenever a new version is released or if this list is too noisy for you, just subscribe to clamav- announce <http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml>.

No need to uninstall, just download, configure, compile and install new version, or check with your OS vendor to see if they have an update package. If you tell us what platform you are using, someone might be able to help with that.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-

Re: [clamav-users] Any way to auto-update Clam engine (freshclam or any other tools) [ In reply to ]
Isn't that issue fixed in 0.100.1?

As I recall, 0.101.0 and .1 didn't provide any security fixes, at least not as identified as such.

Scott K

Re: [clamav-users] Any way to auto-update Clam engine (freshclam or any other tools) [ In reply to ]
> 0.101.0 and .1
I'm uncertain but auditor just pointed out https://vuldb.com/?id.121488
& recommended we upgrade from 0.100.1 to 0.101.1

>what platform you are using, someone might be able to help with that
I'm on Solaris 10 x86 : we disabled compilers as part of our OS hardening;
much appreciated if someone can help me make/compile one for our OS.
So far I can't locate any 0.101.1 for Solaris 10 x86, only for
RHEL/Windows.

Re: [clamav-users] Any way to auto-update Clam engine (freshclam or any other tools) [ In reply to ]
On 12.03.19 13:58, Sunhux G via clamav-users wrote:
>I'm on Solaris 10 x86 : we disabled compilers as part of our OS hardening;
>much appreciated if someone can help me make/compile one for our OS.
>So far I can't locate any 0.101.1 for Solaris 10 x86, only for
>RHEL/Windows.

it's strange that you disable compiling from source code as part of
hardening, but you are willing to take code compiled by someone else and run
it locally.

How do you know that the code doesn't contain backdoor?
- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watson. -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig

Re: [clamav-users] Any way to auto-update Clam engine (freshclam or any other tools) [ In reply to ]
On March 12, 2019 11:22:05 AM UTC, Matus UHLAR - fantomas via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:
>On 12.03.19 13:58, Sunhux G via clamav-users wrote:
>>I'm on Solaris 10 x86 : we disabled compilers as part of our OS
>hardening;
>>much appreciated if someone can help me make/compile one for our OS.
>>So far I can't locate any 0.101.1 for Solaris 10 x86, only for
>>RHEL/Windows.
>
>it's strange that you disable compiling from source code as part of
>hardening, but you are willing to take code compiled by someone else
>and run
>it locally.
>
>How do you know that the code doesn't contain backdoor?

You are thinking about security. This seems to be about compliance. It's only distantly related.

Scott K

Re: [clamav-users] Any way to auto-update Clam engine (freshclam or any other tools) [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/2019 23:23, Scott Kitterman via clamav-users wrote:

> On March 12, 2019 11:22:05 AM UTC, Matus UHLAR - fantomas via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:
>> On 12.03.19 13:58, Sunhux G via clamav-users wrote:
>>> I'm on Solaris 10 x86 : we disabled compilers as part of our OS
>> hardening;
>>> much appreciated if someone can help me make/compile one for our OS.
>>> So far I can't locate any 0.101.1 for Solaris 10 x86, only for
>>> RHEL/Windows.
>>
>> it's strange that you disable compiling from source code as part of
>> hardening, but you are willing to take code compiled by someone else
>> and run
>> it locally.
>>
>> How do you know that the code doesn't contain backdoor?
>
> You are thinking about security. This seems to be about compliance. It's only distantly related.

True.

Looks more like Standard Auditory Compliance by Incompetence to me (but
I'm a cynical old BOFH, so much of what goes on these days is
thinly-disguised incompetence).

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: [clamav-users] Any way to auto-update Clam engine (freshclam or any other tools) [ In reply to ]
> I'm on Solaris 10 x86 : we disabled compilers as part of our OS hardening;
much appreciated if someone can help me make/compile one for our OS.
So far I can't locate any 0.101.1 for Solaris 10 x86, only for RHEL/Windows.

Well, I'll point you to unixpackages.com.
You pay a subscription fee, they compile packages for you.
Easy to say who the source is from too, for your compliance auditor.
Once you're paid up you can request they build a newer version of ClamAV
(they're on 0.100.2 currently).
They provide just a libgcc package, to keep the whole gcc compiler off the host.
In total, you need 21 packages installed in order to satisfy all the dependencies.

Regards, Scott Packard
> On 12/03/2019 23:23, Scott Kitterman via clamav-users wrote:

> >> hardening;
> >>
> >> it's strange that you disable compiling from source code as part of
> >> hardening, but you are willing to take code compiled by someone else
> >> and run
> >> it locally.
> >>
> >> How do you know that the code doesn't contain backdoor?
> >
> > You are thinking about security. This seems to be about compliance. It's only distantly related.
> >
> True.
>
> Looks more like Standard Auditory Compliance by Incompetence to me (but
> I'm a cynical old BOFH, so much of what goes on these days is
> thinly-disguised incompetence).

See Gene Spafford's latest blog on RSA conference, for more like-minded thoughts.