Mailing List Archive

Re: Failed to start clamd scanner () daemon.
On 7/25/23 02:54, Bhavsar Bhushan via clamav-users wrote:

> Hello Support Team,
>
> Recently we have install Clam AV on RHEL 8.7 server using Installing -
> ClamAV Documentation <https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Installing.html>
>
> But after installation getting error Failed to start clamd scanner ()
> daemon..
>
> Can you please help me in this case.

There is not enough information here to help you.  You are going to need
to include more of the clamd logs.  Also, you don't say which part of
the instructions you followed.  It doesn't look like you installed from
the Fedora EPEL rpm since you are using clamd.service instead of
clamd@scan.service, so I'm guessing it was from source.

--
Orion Poplawski
he/him/his - surely the least important thing about me
Re: Failed to start clamd scanner () daemon. [ In reply to ]
On 7/25/23 02:54, Bhavsar Bhushan via clamav-users wrote:

>> Hello Support Team,
>>
>> Recently we have install Clam AV on RHEL 8.7 server using Installing
>> - ClamAV Documentation <https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Installing.html>
>>
>> But after installation getting error Failed to start clamd scanner ()
>> daemon..
>>
>> Can you please help me in this case.

Bhavsar

From a command prompt:

sudo /usr/sbin/clamd

That will try to launch clamd and if there are error messages, they will
be displayed on the screen instead of a launching a daemon.

Lyle Giese
Re: Failed to start clamd scanner () daemon. [ In reply to ]
On 18/08/2023 05:29, Orion Poplawski via clamav-users wrote:
> On 7/25/23 02:54, Bhavsar Bhushan via clamav-users wrote:
>>
>> Hello Support Team,
>>
>> Recently we have install Clam AV on RHEL 8.7 server using Installing -
>> ClamAV Documentation <https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Installing.html>
>>
>> But after installation getting error Failed to start clamd scanner ()
>> daemon..
>>
>> Can you please help me in this case.

Forgive me not replying to OPs message, it was before I joined the
mailing list.

I notice in the screenshot the ExecStart line in the systemctl status
output says:

/usr/bin/clamd -c /etc/clamd.d/.conf

That looks a lot like the config file should have been clamd.conf but
you put .conf instead. Either you compiled it to look for the config
file there, or left out the config file option entirely when compiling
and that's what it falls back to.

Alternatively you misconfigured the systemd system file, presumably:

/etc/systemd/system/clamd.service

and put /etc/clamd.d/.conf instead of /etc/clam.d/clamd.conf.

On a side point, typically that configuration directory would be
/etc/clamd/ or /etc/clamav/ rather than /etc/clamd.d/ but I spend more
time on Debian than RHEL so I might be wrong and it doesn't matter so
long as it's right in your systemd .service file and in your compiled
binaries, but just check that really is the correct path to the config.

Regards,

Adam Sweet