Mailing List Archive

SAP - CLAMSAP vs McAfee
Hi to all,

In our current project, we are using SAP Linux Suse 15.2 with MCafee EPO. In order to activate the AV config for SAP (SAP Linux does not support Mcafee) we're thinking implementing the ClamSAP AV. MY question is:

* Is there any problem to install the ClamSAP to use for this project and in parallel still use McAfee?
* Does ClamSAP only will scan this integration or it will monitor the whole SAP NW?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards,
____
Nuno Almeida
SAP Basis Senior Architect
Infrastructure & Operations, One ERP

P: +351913032898
E: nuno.almeida@ferring.com<mailto:nuno.almeida@ferring.com>

Ferring Service Centre LDA
Lagoas Park Edificio 6, Piso 0-B
Lisbon, 2740-244
Portugal
Follow us on LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/ferring-pharmaceuticals/>, Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ferringpharmaceuticals/>, Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ferringpharmaceuticals/>, Twitter<https://twitter.com/ferring>, YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Ss0Uwv54xTGmM_EDEzQPA>

Proprietary or confidential information belonging to Ferring Holding SA or to one of its affiliated companies may be contained in the message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for the delivery of the message to such person), please do not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender by reply e-mail.
Please advise the sender immediately if you or your employer do not consent to e-mail for messages of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message represent the opinion of the sender and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views and opinions of Ferring.
Re: SAP - CLAMSAP vs McAfee [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022, Almeida, Nuno wrote:

> In our current project, we are using SAP Linux Suse 15.2 with MCafee
> EPO. In order to activate the AV config for SAP (SAP Linux does not
> support Mcafee) we're thinking implementing the ClamSAP AV.
>
> MY question is:
>
> * Is there any problem to install the ClamSAP to use for this
> project and in parallel still use McAfee?
>
> * Does ClamSAP only will scan this integration or it will monitor
the whole SAP NW?

You will probably need to look into the documentation for ClamSAP.

After a quick search it seems ClamSAP is produced by SUSE, see for example

https://documentation.suse.com/sles-sap/12-SP4/html/SLES4SAP-guide/cha-clamsap.html

In a Linux installataion I would not expect that there would be any
conflicts between ClamAV and McAfee which could not be overcome by a
little ingenuity.

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: SAP - CLAMSAP vs McAfee [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Apr 2022, Almeida, Nuno wrote:

> In our current project, we are using SAP Linux Suse 15.2 with MCafee
> EPO. In order to activate the AV config for SAP (SAP Linux does not
> support Mcafee) we're thinking implementing the ClamSAP AV.
> My question is:
>
> * Is there any problem to install the ClamSAP to use for this
> * project and in parallel still use McAfee?

Running two virus scanners (especially in "on-access" mode) is often
very slow and there is the possibility that one scanner will object to
the other scanner's definitions (either now, or at any time after the
definitions are updated).

> * Does ClamSAP only will scan this integration or it will monitor
> * the whole SAP NW?

I had not heard of ClamSAP before, and I believe that the ClamAV team
have no part in its development.

A quick glance at the NW-VSI technical spec
https://ftp2.gwdg.de/pub/misc/sapdb/icc/nw-vsi/VSA-Specification.pdf
makes me think that NW-VSI controls what ClamSAP monitors, but it would
probably be worth checking with the ClamSAP maintainer Markus Strehle
https://sourceforge.net/projects/clamsap/support
I see that he also maintains SAVI-SAP - a link between SAP and Sophos.

I guess he might be able to help you develop a SAP-McAfee link if that
would be a sensible direction ...

As always, if you are using any malware detection system
you need to know what you are protecting, what you are protecting it from
and that no system catches all malware (people on this list have reported that
ClamAV with default definitions catches less than 10% of what they see !)

> Thanks in advance
>
> Best Regards,
> ____
> Nuno Almeida