Thank you in advance !
NAVER :: Korea's No.1 search portal
www.naver.com
Re: Why MD5 signatures prevail? [ In reply to ]
On 2009-07-02 23:10, Sang Kil Cha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I look at ClamAV's signatures, most of them are md5 signatures. Also, when I download older version of ClamAV like 0.90, to compare the signature database, number of md5 signatures have been grown dramatically.

0.90 did not support PE section MD5 signatures (.mdb files), it was
introduced in 0.92 IIRC.
PE section MD5 signatures are more useful than md5 signatures of the
entire file (because it allows the other section of the PE to vary, thus
catching
more samples with a single signature).

> Is there any special reason for this? I guess one of the reasons will be that it is the most quickest way to update signatures. Am I thinking it correct? Any other reasons for the expanding md5 signatures?

Signatures can be updated just as quickly if they are .ndb. MD5
signatures are quicker to create though than .ndb.

Best regards,
--Edwin
Re: Why MD5 signatures prevail? [ In reply to ]
Hello Edwin,

Thank you for useful information. I have a question as well:

1) Is PE section MD5 signature created from a particular section like code
or data or it can be any section.

Thanks.

Regards,
Ibraheem

Re: Why MD5 signatures prevail? [ In reply to ]
Ibraheem Khan wrote:
> Hello Edwin,
>
> Thank you for useful information. I have a question as well:
>
> 1) Is PE section MD5 signature created from a particular section like code
> or data or it can be any section.

Can be any section.

-acab