Mailing List Archive

CCM Upgrade 3.2 to 3.3 questions..
Hey everyone,
I am getting ready to upgrade my CCM installation from 3.2(3) to 3.3(4).
As far as I can tell, the steps for the Publisher should be as follows:

1. Install Backup utility 3.5.53,
2. Backup complete config using backup utility
3. Check backup by verifying that the following files exist

a. Dbname.ini
b. Backup.ini
c. Mcs.sti

4. Copy all files generated during backup to another server and
burn to CD
5. Install and run upgrade assistant utility to verify server
health
6. Resolve any and all issues prior to continuing
7. Remove a drive and replace with blank mirror drive. Wait for
mirror to rebuild.
8. REInstall OS using same server recovery method
9. Update to OS 2.6
10. Install OS 2.6 Sr1 patch
11. Install Call manager version 3.3.4 and restore data from backup
12. Perform clean backup of database
13. Proceed to Subscriber upgrade

Is there anything I have missed or anything I should watch out for, I
have never done this before so I am understandibly being overcautious.

Thanks

Marc Hering

Network Engineer

The Gale Company

100 Campus Drive

Suite 200

Florham Park, NJ 07932

Direct: 973.301.8209

Fax: 973.245.3605

www.thegalecompany.com <http://www.thegalecompany.com/>

The Gale Company is one of the largest real estate companies in the industry with a global portfolio exceeding 60 million square feet of office space. For more information contact 973-301-9500 or visit www.TheGaleCompany.com
Re: CCM Upgrade 3.2 to 3.3 questions.. [ In reply to ]
Hi Marc,

Your procedure looks good. I performed this upgrade several months ago with no problems. Just be sure to watch your callmanger backup as it runs and look for any errors.

Having a good backup is the key.

Once you have your publisher up and running, the subscriber is a snap.
I am getting ready to upgrade my CCM installation from 3.2(3) to 3.3(4). As far as I can tell, the steps for the Publisher should be as follows:

1.. Install Backup utility 3.5.53,
2.. Backup complete config using backup utility
3.. Check backup by verifying that the following files exist
1.. Dbname.ini
2.. Backup.ini
3.. Mcs.sti

Re: CCM Upgrade 3.2 to 3.3 questions.. [ In reply to ]
We did a similar upgrade, and we decided to split the OS upgrades and the Call Manager upgrades into two seperate maintenance windows. We have a total of 6 servers to upgrade, so splitting the upgrades was great for us. I'm not sure what you mean by step #11, restore from backup - the CCM upgrade did not wipe out any of our data, so we did not have to restore from backup - things were working after the upgrade.

Something you have to be aware of is the signed loads of the phones. 3.3.3 and after has signed images - once a phone has a signed load, it can not go back to an unsigned load. We made sure to upgrade a few phones in our test centre to signed loads and put them back on our production network to see that they operated properly. We tested a few applications on the phone as well as ICD/IPCC express. You should throughly test any applications you are using.

It's also important to know that Cisco does not guarentee or support call managers in a cluster running different versions - they actually strongly recommend against it. We witnessed that phones registered to call managers with different versions were not able to communicate to each other - not even ringing through. That's another reason we chose to seperate the OS and CCM upgrades - to minimize the actual time that phones were not able to talk to each other. You could further minimize the service interruption by changing the device pools so all phones use the same call manager subscriber temporarily.

Regarding signed loads, we were surprised to see that even though the backup call manager of a phone was not yet upgraded, when we took the primary call manager down for upgrading, the phone communicated to the publisher and actually upgraded itself with the signed load.

I think those were the major points - other than that - we were quite surprised how easy the upgrade went.

Oh yeah - if you have a CCO contract, you can open a TAC case in preparation and in advance of your upgrade. We did so under advisement from our SE and it was great - immediate attention with all your background already discussed with the engineer.

Lelio

Re: CCM Upgrade 3.2 to 3.3 questions.. [ In reply to ]
Hmmmm....I suppose then that the below caution from cisco is no longer true?

Caution Reader, be careful. You may do something that could result in equipment damage or loss of data.
For Cisco CallManager 3.1/3.2 Upgrades to 3.3(4)

You must perform a same server recovery by using the operating system disks that ship with this version of Cisco CallManager to install operating system version 2000.2.4 before you upgrade to 2000.2.5sr2. You cannot upgrade to Cisco-provided operating system version 2000.2.5sr2 (or later) from a previous version of the operating system. For detailed instructions, refer to "Upgrading From

Cisco CallManager 3.1 or 3.2 (If You Are Not Replacing Hardware)" section.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/3_2/install/install/cm323ins.htm

Re: CCM Upgrade 3.2 to 3.3 questions.. [ In reply to ]
Nope, it is not really a conversion. This is a fresh install. If you
follow instructions, it wipes your entire server clean and reinstalls
everything from scratch.
Thus the purpose of performing a backup and restore of data.

However, someone previously describes a way to upgrade, though i am not
familiar with it.