Mailing List Archive

CCM on generic PC Server
Hello all,
I am preparing to study for my CCIE Voice and have run into a problem with money, of course. I have almost all of the equipment network gear wise, but I am severely lacking in the server arena. I have read little tidbits about how the CallManager and Unity software cannot be loaded on a generic pc and I have tried to do it, can't always believe what you read. I was wondering if anyone on-list knew how to do this or where to get the information. I have two CallManager servers on compliant servers at work but can not get the wife to agree to buy same servers at home when we already own a few generics. I have been told that you can load this into a Virtual PC type set up by a Cisco engineer and this made me believe that this could be done but I can not find any specifics on how to do it. All I can find is messages where someone has done it. Any and all help will be appreciated by myself and my wife, lol.

Thank you
Keith D'Atrio
RE: CCM on generic PC Server [ In reply to ]
This is a snip off tek-tips.com --

"1. Add the following registry information

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems\Model] "Hardware"="MCS7835"
"Memory"="1024" "Speed"="733"

2. Download and run this upgrade file from cisco:

win-OS-Upgrade.2000-2-3.exe

Make sure you upgrade everything completely (there're 3 upgrading steps
in the file)

3. Add the following Key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Spirian\System Info\OS Image]
"Version"="2000.2.3"

Tada, i've done this many of times, works great...

BuckWeet"

--Scott

PS. I have NOT done this. I just found it.

RE: CCM on generic PC Server [ In reply to ]
You can load CCM, Unity, IPCC Express, PA, CER, etc on a generic PC. Some of
these apps, like CCM do a hard ware check, others such as unity do not.

Mileage varies based on the hardware specs and anomalies, but I have loaded
up CCM and Unity on various pc's with some success; Compaq, dell and acer
laptops, Compaq, dell and generic PC's.

I don't know about you, but space always seems to be at a premium in my home
office. There's never enough room for me, a pc, laptop and a chair let alone
a couple of servers and a rack full of gear. What I did is run VMWare and
use virtual servers. I suspect that Virtual PC might work as well, but I
have no experience. I am running the win2k version of VMWare GSX. It allows
me to run multiple virtual servers simultaneously, so that I can have CCM,
Unity and IPCC Express all up and running. More info on VMWare can be found
at http://www.vmware.com <http://www.vmware.com/> you can download an 30
day eval version; depending on your negotiation skills you might be able to
obtain an NFR copy.

VMWare is fairly lightweight, it requires decent hardware, a big HD and lots
of RAM; RAM is the critical factor. Here's my setup; I have two VMWare GSX
servers running, the first one is an old Compaq ml300 server, with a 1ghz
P3, 1.5gb of memory and 70gig's of storage. The second box is a Compaq low
profile desktop P3 800mhz with 1gig ram and 120gig HD, this one is
semi-mobile, I have taken it with me on extended project trips. The first
Server typically has 3 virtual servers running; CCM Pub, IPCC Express, and a
CW2k server. The second box usually has a CCM Sub and Unity VM running. The
beauty of using VMWare is that I can build a default win2k server image that
I have burned to cdr, I can then copy that image from cd and have a win2k
server up in running in under 5 minutes. I can then install whatever
application I need; CCM, Unity, PA, etc. From what I heard TAC uses VMWare
in some of their labs to quickly replicate a customer's setup for
troubleshooting. They use prebuilt vmware images to quickly get a fresh
install of CCM or Unity up and running.

apply some registry hacks; do some creative google searches and you should
locate what you need.

If you would like some more details, feel free to email or IM me.

tm

Tim Medley
Appia Communications
(231) 929-0970 x112